grantcarruthers

Well Known Member
What oil quick drains are people having good luck with?? I'm wanting to add one with the next oil change this month and just wonder what people like or don't like about the one's they've used. Any brands/types to stay away from? With the new Vetterman 4-pipe I have the oil should have a pretty clean shot straight down so I don't think there'll be much need for the extended drain pipes some seem to have after looking briefly at options on the ACS site.

Thanks much

Grant

Saf-Air

I'm very happy with the Saf-Air P5000 installed on my AeroSport Power IO-360B2B. I also have the Vetterman exhaust. You'll probably use the P5000 for a Lycoming in a RV but here's the chart.
http://saf-air.com/oil_chart.html

You can get these at Chief Aircraft, ACS or Van's. Prices at all 3 seem pretty close to each other.

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB
is there no end to wiring????

I also splurged a Saf-Air P5000 (they ain't cheap) and just put the first oil in the engine. I noticed it was leaking about one drop a day. Called Saf-Air to see about getting some replacement o-rings. Ryan (I think) INSISTED on sending me a new valve. Two days later it arrived. Can't ask for better customer service than that.

Drain Valves

Search the archives and do a google search for "Fumoto Valves", oil change, drain valves diesel. T202N is the model number that fits a Lycoming. Usually about $20.00 plus shipping.

They're brass and a little heavier than Saf-air, but they have a larger bore and drain faster.

I've just always ordered it from Van's when ordering the finish kit. Used one multiple times now without any problems.

Vic

I don't recall the one I used but my A&P had to "weld" an extension tube in it to allow me to place a tube over it. My suggestion is find one that allows placing a tube over a pipe like the Curtis picture shows in the link above. Just reach in, install the hose, place the other end in a suitable container...drain away. No need to remove the lower cowl.

I just saw a picture of the Saf-Air unit (http://tinyurl.com/5hlunr) and I do not have it. Mine has two rod-like pieces sticking out horizontally that you use to push up and over to lock open. The Saf-air unit already has the proper tube sticking down. Looks good to me.

The downside to mine is that if the two horizontal rods are not in a good position it is harder to press up through the bottom cowl opening. The Saf-Air unit appears to be better in this regard.

Last edited: