azrv6

Well Known Member
After two airplanes and a car, it is time to retire my 20 year old spray guy. Looking for recommendations on currently available HVLP guns for use with an air compressor. I need a gun with different size tips (1.3mm up to 1.8mm or even 2.0mm). Price ranges seem to be around $200 then step up to around $400, and I'm definitely in the $200 or less. I have a collection of inexpensive guns which serve me well for priming, etc. I like the specs of the Delvilbiss Finishline FLG4 HVLP Finish Gun Kit at $179. http://goo.gl/CRtZqL Does anyone have experience with this one? Others?
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Hello Dave,

The Devilbiss FLG4 is a really good choice! I have painted my RV-8 with UVR Topcoat a PU paint my Citabria with Randolph system and my Skybolt with a PU/DD paint.
You get a very fine finish!

I just bought a Sharpe Finex FX3000. P/N 288880 from Amazon. Supposedly rated better than Starting Line and equivalent to the Finishline guns. Next month I'll know.

A little off topic, maybe, but for those of you using the disposable cup system -- 3M PPS or DeKups? And why? I'm going to start with one or the other soon. Just haven't decided which one yet.

My compressor doesn't have enough oomph for HVLP, I don't think. Oh well. I got what I could afford and had room for.

I bought a DeVILBISS GTI-620G Millennium HVLP gun with the DeKups system, several years ago. I have painted the entire interior of my RV-7A, in parts as I went along, before riveting it together. I love this system. I have a cheaper Harbor Freight HVLP unit that I use exclusively for primers. I'm strongly considering painting my plane myself so I wanted to invest in a quality spray gun. You can find them on eBay and other places for a good price. I spent less than $200 on this one, but that didn't include the DeKups.

100_6721%20(Small).JPG

The nice thing about the DeKups system is that the inner paint cup collapses as you paint. No air contacts the material, and it won't spill out the top if you tilt the gun sideways. You can actually spray upside down, although I've never had the need to do that. But someday I may be scooting around on a creeper shooting the belly of my plane. Something to think about. Also, when I'm finished, leftover paint in the cup can be capped with a plug and saved. No air inside to spoil it, no waste. (I know some paints can't be saved, if you mix components)

I went with the 3M PPS cup system. I just like the way the cups and disposable liners all go together. Also, 3M makes adapters for the PPS system that fit my SATA jet gun, DeVILBISS gun, and even my Hobby Air HVLP Citation gun setup. Cleanup is so much easier.

I'm going to go a bit against the grain here ...

I had a set of cheap guns which were not working well. I had a goodcaircsupply with filters and water traps. My projects are all over the map - I've shot wood working with latex, oil based, and lacquer; metal work includes enamel single stage, metallics, and base+clear.

I walked into my local classic car hot rod restoration shop (doesn't everyone have one of these in their town?) - a father & son business which also is the only paint supply in the area.

I asked the question, "I need a new paint gun. I have a cheap one and its just not working. What should I get?" The father had a noob in his midst and could have made a nice bit of change.

He asked what I was doing; what problems I had; and how I was prepping and cleaning the gun. Then the bomb ...

He pulls out a $34.50 gun, in that environment destroying formed plastic display packaging. He said, "I could sell you a $400 gun but this works. It's what I use." Then he took me into their body shop and he showed me how to set up the gun and how he cleans it.

I've had that gun for two years now and it is still shooting great. I know that my latex projects will kill the gun in another year or two but I won't worry given the price. If I were only shooting fine finishes, it would likely last me a decade or more.

I'm pretty sure it's this one .

You can see an example of clear over base / metallic here -> http://vimeo.com/50006571

Last edited:
filters

I went with the 3M PPS cup system. I just like the way the cups and disposable liners all go together. Also, 3M makes adapters for the PPS system that fit my SATA jet gun, DeVILBISS gun, and even my Hobby Air HVLP Citation gun setup. Cleanup is so much easier.

+1
The other great thing about the disposable set is every one has a built in filter. No filtering needed. It's amazing how much **** gets caught.