flyboykelly

Well Known Member
The box was crushed and one end was missing. ABF Freight was the shipper and I'll be starting the claim process tomarrow. After getting everything out of the box it seems that most of the main skins were damaged but everything else is ok. I'll keep everyone posted on how ABF responds to the claim.

I have used ABF freight for some Piper parts. I will never use them again. I feel that they aren't the company for handling fragile aircraft parts.

Although it is not VANS fault the skins were bent in shipping. I would give them a call and let them know what happened. Skins are so cheap (I say that compared to the certified parts I'm used to purchasing for rebuilding Pipers and Cessna's) they may work a deal with you. I'm sure ABF freight will get you all squared away in the end.

Just keep a positive attitude!

The way it worked for me when ABF trashed my kit was I had to pay for the skins upfront and then ABF reimbursed me.

Sure hope you wrote on the bill of lading that you had damage or they may not pay!

ABF is worthless in my opinion. I will never use them for anything again. I think the $$$ signs Van's paints on these crates are targets or like dares for them to try and damage the kits.

Partain is the best for shipping these kits. He is not the fastest but he gets it to you damage free and in most cases for less cost!

Also make sure you have all the parts as Van's packs em in every nook and cranny and if the end of the crate was gone, who knows what might have fallen out.

Last edited:
It does look like ABF used the box as target practice. I didn't get pics of the box on the truck as I had to go to their facility to pick it up, but I got lots of pics as they brought it out and as I was pulling everything out of the box. On the positive side the guy at ABF understood what was going on and he documented everything on the packing slip. I agree with all of you that this is the last time I will ever use ABF for anything as this damage goes beyond one isolated incident.

I hate to hear about your damage. I used ABF for my wings, fuselage, and most recently my finish kit...and have had excellent service from them.:confused: Good luck to you.

I hate to hear about your damage. I used ABF for my wings, fuselage, and most recently my finish kit...and have had excellent service from them.:confused: Good luck to you.

Same here, but it was a few years back. I do get a kick out of these types of threads. Same as UPS versus Fed EX, etc. . Part of my wife's job deals with shipping from various carriers. A lot of shipping. In reality, shipments get "screwed up" from everybody. But to listen to these threads, it's always one or another.

I have no problem with posting a thread when damage occurs. And then of course, someone else who had damage from the same carrier will also add to the complaint. But at the same time, many more individuals are seeing complete satisfaction. So what can be taken from these threads? Not a lot....

In fact, my wife prefers the shipping company that got some of the worst
criticism on this forum. I've had very good service from them too!

L.Adamson --- RV6A