kevinh

Well Known Member
So I think I'm going to OSH this summer - for the first time since '94. I'd like to camp with my RV. Does anyone know if there is a nearby source of AC for using/rechaging notebook computers?

Yes, if you're in HBC. There is a little ice hut there usually to the east of the bath house there. It has an outlet behind it that I use occasionally. The bathhouse has plugs in front of it, but that's more for cell phones and not for sitting for long stretches in a chair with computer. That and the cell tower is at the end of the field, so you'll get 5 bars <g>.

It's right here at the tip of the yellow arrow:

10r8qkl.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Doug for the image. I'm all giddy just thinking about it.
The Cards will be staying in a nice comfy house in the top left of your image.

That nice comfy house has a lot of outlets. You can leave your laptop overnight with me Kevin :D the Cards will not touch it :D
Can not wait that late July.

Solar Chargers

There are a few solar chargers out there depending on the brand of your laptop. Just plug it in and put the small panel on your dash for the day.

You cannot exclusivly run your laptop off of it, itll prob take half the day to charge.

About 100 feet west of Doug's yellow arrow is a small yellow shed that we use to store all the cones/ row markers/ etc. during the off season. There are a bunch of outlets on the exterior of this building for that very purpose. There are always an assortment of phones/ laptops/ cameras etc. being charged there, and I have yet to hear of one growing legs.

On the subject, one of the things in the works for this year are improved facilities for the folks back in HBC. This will be a multi-year thing, but the big things for this year should include a big tent with some picnic tables, gas grills and the like for gatherings/ cookouts/ getting out of the rain etc. We are also talking about holding some events in the HBC grounds, for example a corn roast/ cookout. We're always looking for ways to make Oshkosh a better experience so if you have any ideas, let me know.

...On the subject, one of the things in the works for this year are improved facilities for the folks back in HBC. This will be a multi-year thing, but the big things for this year should include a big tent with some picnic tables, gas grills and the like for gatherings/ cookouts/ getting out of the rain etc. We are also talking about holding some events in the HBC grounds, for example a corn roast/ cookout. We're always looking for ways to make Oshkosh a better experience so if you have any ideas, let me know.

That's good news, Jeff. As that area developed, I was wondering when it would start to show development to keep up with the rest of the site's improvements.

This is my 20th year of attendance at Oshkosh, I think, and the first year to fly my completed RV there. I've always camped at Camp Scholler, but with the addition of 250 campsites with electricity and water, I'm sure my usual campsite has been moved yet again. Each year it ends up farther and farther away from the gates.

Maybe this is the year that I'll just camp with the plane.

As for suggestions, one thing that would help immensely is to do something about the dust from the gravel road right behind the HBC. The poor schlubs who are parked in the last few rows end up with planes covered with dirt! That alone would be enough to discourage me from parking in HBC. There's a project for you. :D

My first year

This will be my first trip to OSH, planning to camp unless weather is horrible. Wondering if there is wireless internet available in the campground. Looking forward to seeing and learning a lot about other -10s

About 100 feet west of Doug's yellow arrow is a small yellow shed that we use to store all the cones/ row markers/ etc. during the off season. There are a bunch of outlets on the exterior of this building for that very purpose. There are always an assortment of phones/ laptops/ cameras etc. being charged there, and I have yet to hear of one growing legs.

On the subject, one of the things in the works for this year are improved facilities for the folks back in HBC. This will be a multi-year thing, but the big things for this year should include a big tent with some picnic tables, gas grills and the like for gatherings/ cookouts/ getting out of the rain etc. We are also talking about holding some events in the HBC grounds, for example a corn roast/ cookout. We're always looking for ways to make Oshkosh a better experience so if you have any ideas, let me know.

Wow Jeff! Both of those paragraphs sound awesome. Look for me behind that shed!

As for suggestions, one thing that would help immensely is to do something about the dust from the gravel road right behind the HBC. The poor schlubs who are parked in the last few rows end up with planes covered with dirt! That alone would be enough to discourage me from parking in HBC. There's a project for you. :D
Don,

Message received loud and clear. I can tell you that this is an issue that is definitely on EAA's radar. Dust is a problem all over the grounds, but it is particularly so in the western end of HBC as you describe. The plan for this year is to apply a chip-seal compound to the dirt/ gravel roads all over the grounds as a way of keeping the dust down. This is expected to have the desired effect on a good portion of the grounds.

The problem, though, is that the road that runs N-S just west of the HBC grounds (Foundation Road) is a very heavily traveled road, as it is the major exit route for auto parking. They are concerned that the chip seal will not hold up under those conditions. I can tell you that the master plan calls for that road to be paved, but that is not going to happen this year (possibly next) so for one more year we will just have to grin and bear it.

Thanks for the input.

Piece of Grass

If the POG is moved to the HBC, I may completely change my plans and just camp with the plane. I've been an annual resident of Camp Scholler for about 20 years, but with the recent expansion of the premium camsites, I've considered just camping with the plane this year. Moving the POG to that area would probably clinch it for me.

If the POG is moved to the HBC, I may completely change my plans and just camp with the plane. I've been an annual resident of Camp Scholler for about 20 years, but with the recent expansion of the premium camsites, I've considered just camping with the plane this year. Moving the POG to that area would probably clinch it for me.

Hey, you can join me as a first-time HBC guy this year Don! Louise is going to be working the show for her employer, and have a hotel room up in Appleton, u tit looks my my guys aren't going to have an exhibit this year, so I am thinking of flying up with camping gear and setting up in HBC, and then Louise and I can time-share between the hotel and the camp - depending on Wx.

POG would be cool in HBC, with airplanes around! But I'll be at POG wherever it might be, assuming I make it to OSH.

Paul