aarvig

Well Known Member
I have a question for anyone who has built two wings at one time. I have the wing skeletons framed and would like to skin them at the same time. My question is how much space should I allot for this? For instance, if the wings are side by side how much space should be between them? Between them and the walls? If you have any pictures please post.
I am trying to squeeze my two wing build into a large single car stall in my three car garage while maintaining my workbench space.
Thanks!

Hi Aaron,

The more space the better, though, I only have part of one garage. I built a wing stand that allows me to build both in parallel, with some help from the SO and kids to flip the wings when needed. Here's my setup:

2414hut.jpg

More space the better, but this seems to work for me.

I did both of mine in one stall of the garage. I actually use two stalls -- one for the workbench and all, one for the wing stand, but I could have (maybe) done it all in one stall.

Here's my stand: http://www.botkin.org/RV-build/?p=371 In fact, I just dismantled it yesterday and built a rolling cradle so I could finish the wiring and put the wingtips on... after which it and the wings will go to the storage unit while I bring the fuselage kit home, woo-hoo!

I don't remember the measurements, but I think there was about 24" between the uprights. There was plenty of room in between the wings for a person on a rolling mechanic's chair with a rivet gun.

Last edited:
I have a question for anyone who has built two wings at one time. I have the wing skeletons framed and would like to skin them at the same time. My question is how much space should I allot for this? For instance, if the wings are side by side how much space should be between them? Between them and the walls? If you have any pictures please post.
I am trying to squeeze my two wing build into a large single car stall in my three car garage while maintaining my workbench space.
Thanks!

If you can afford at least 3 feet between them you will be working in great comfort.

Here are mine. If it were me, and you decide to build both wings racks at once, I wouldn't even bother attaching it to the floor or ceiling.
Just tie them together, and they will be fine.

It was over 20-years ago, but I used three (3) feet between the wings when I did mine.

Mine was also a project completed in the previous millenium (1999) but here is the spacing I found to be very workable:

wing-79.jpg

This allows you to skin both sides of both wings without removing them from the fixtures.

Here are mine. If it were me, and you decide to build both wings racks at once, I wouldn't even bother attaching it to the floor or ceiling.
Just tie them together, and they will be fine.
True. I made mine "more or less" mobile -- it turned out the slope of the garage floor resulted in the stand being level with casters under one end. It wasn't easy to move the stand with the wings on it, but if I needed to it could be done.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!

I have a great idea now of how I'm going to do this. Thanks for all the help! Dave check your PM's.