medic311

Quick question for all of the RVgurus...

I am looking at buying a project that was FAA certified and crashed (slight damage to wings, elevators - rest of the airframe ok but gutted).

Can I rebuild it like a "fresh out of the box" project or does an A&P have to do the work since I wasn't the primary builder to begin with and that it had been certified already?

I guess what I am asking is "How much of it will I have to rebuild (if I can at all), to claim the Repairman Certificate (if eligible at all)? Many thanks.

Last edited:
medic311 said:
Can I rebuild it like a "fresh out of the box" project or does an A&P have to do the work since I wasn't the primary builder to begin with and that it had been certified already?
You don't have to be an A&P to maintain a homebuilt. The exception would be the yearly condition inspection, which has to be performed by an A&P or the holder of the repairman certificate.

Joey is right. You can do all the rebuild, repairs, etc. yourself. You can do everything but the annual condition inspection. You will not be eligibile for the repairman certificate. Only one issued per airplane.

Rebuilder?

Mel... If the original builder turns in his Repairman Certificate, can another one be issued if the "rebuilder" can prove to the FAA he has enough knowledge to maintain the plane?

No, One repairman certificate has been issued. That's it!
The only certificate you can get to perform the annual condition inspection on this airplane is an A&P certificate.

New plane - new registration

Mel,
Perhaps if the rebuild was big enough, the re-builder should just re-register the plane with a new serial number and himself as the new manufacturer.

Sort of building a new plane from broken parts...

If the rebuild is big enough, it should be easy to prove the 51% using the FAA guidelines and checklist.... I would think most major repairs involve more work than a new quickbuild kit.... :)

gil in Tucson

Annual

Mel said:
....The only certificate you can get to perform the annual condition inspection on this airplane is an A&P certificate.
Mel,

This brings up a point I have a question about. Does the basic A&P certificate allow its holder to conduct...and legally sign off an annual inspection on his personally owned certificated airplane? Or...must the A&P certificate holder defer such a signoff to an IA?

Cutting to the chase....If I got an A&P certificate, would I be legally able to sign off on the annual inspection on my C-150?

Last edited:
Rick6a said:
If I got an A&P certificate, would I be legally able to sign off on the annual inspection on my C-150?
No, the annual inspection must be performed by someone with an Inspection Authorization.

This is why I don't like to refer to the yearly condition inspection on a homebuilt as an "annual." They are basically the same in scope and detail, but a homebuilt "annual" differs in that it doesn't have to be performed by someone with an IA.

-Joey

The homebuilt requires a condition inspection, of which I have signed three off to date with my A&P. I don't have my IA yet, but it really isn't that big a deal to get an IA from what I understand, I should be getting mine come July.