NickAir

Well Known Member
I need some help with information on a rebuild kit for overheated brakes that lost fluid.

I am assuming an O-ring failure.

First time for me.

Any tricks on refilling the stock system with brake fluid after replacing the O-rings?

I did read some posts on brake fires and some options for seals and fluid.

Is the below still the best option while only replacing the Caliper seals?
Mil-H-83282 instead? It was created to address the Mil-H-5606 fire problem, and is completely compatable with 5606 as well as all the existing seals. You can use it in any GA airplane, any time, even to top up 5606.

Nick

Be very careful...

.....with this stuff, Nick, and wear gloves. It has a dermal warning and is very toxic. My buddy got some on his scratched forearms and within a day the swelling was so severe that he was hospitalized for three days while the antibiotics went to work. It's a synthetic with a much higher flash point...good stuff.

Regards,

Just Some Personal Observations

Assuming O-ring failure may be a bad assumption.

- The leakage occurs for me when I let the linings wear too thin and the O-ring travels beyond the point where it can retain the seal with the cylinder walls.

- Cleveland specifies a specific O-ring part number and if you replace it be sure you get the exact same number. The last time I replaced mine Aircraft Spruce substituted another mil-spec "equivalent" which is not the same size and is not approved by Cleveland. Van's supplies the correct part. I notified ACS with the details but they refused to acknowledge the incorrectness of the substitution.

- I lost brake fluid again this year at annual condition inspection time (pure coincidence). I always replace the pads every year after landing once without a right side brake. I inspected the condition of the cylinder wall with the unaided eye and I saw a lot of minor scratching toward the outward end of the piston travel. I suspect when the pad wear allows the piston to travel this far the seal becomes imperfect and sepage occurs. The pad wear was not down to the rivets so I am considering replacing the whole assembly next year.

- Cleveland sent out a buletin a few years ago about a production run that resulted in deliveries with the pistons in backwards which results in the loss of the O-ring seal long before a properly installed piston. Be sure to check for that.

Bob Axsom

bleeding system

i found it best to pump the fluid up from the bottom. any kind of pump system will work fine. i use a small oil can with a hand trigger. best to put a tray under the tire. good luck.