Jackkclark

Well Known Member
I drilled and trimmed the canopy and rear window with only one tiny crack in canopy. (as fate would have it...it was the very last hole) Instead of "stop drilling" the crack, I melted a stop crack hole.

I attached canopy and rear window several months ago without incidence. Today, the painter was looking over the plane when he said "what caused all these cracks in your rear window?" My heart sank as I rushed to the window and saw a "star" (cracks or crazing) around every screw head attaching the window to the roll bar. However, NONE of the of screws attaching the window to the rear skins had any cracks, crazing or "stars."

What caused every hole over the roll bar to crack and absolutely none of the holes touching the skin to crack? The roll bar has threaded holes. The screws were not tight. They could have been removed with tweezers. The rear of the glass was attached with screws, washers and nuts...also not tight.

Later, my wife helped me removed the window. She asked "why do all these messed up holes feel sticky and have this red tint, while all the good holes feel smooth and look clear. Out of the mouths of babes (beautiful women) the problem was solved....I had put a small amount of Permatex Red Thread Locker on each screw inserted into each threaded hole in the roll bar. Although I used only a minute amount, the Permatex could easily be felt on both the top and bottom edge of the glass. Like the "Blob" (old movie) the stuff had climbed out of the hole and spread out on the glass around the hole...about the size of a dime. I took photos, but can't attach. It asked for a URL....ha. That's as far as I got. I will email if anyone wants to see a black star around 30 or 40 holes. I wonder if PERMATEX will buy me a new window?

TEST Trying to attach photo

Test...see if this works. Using "DropBox"
cracked%20hole.JPG

Yes, this worked. Right click on the Image Box. Copy URL address...then paste that in your browser and hit enter. Image pops up.

Last edited:
Easy for some folks

I will gladly buy you, your drink of choice if you teach me how to do that.
Wow, just saw you are in the Netherlands. One of us has a long trip ahead.

I was close, I flew just out of Atlanta. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you a tutorial for posting at VAF. If you are at SNF 2014 you can buy me a beer :D