seagull

Well Known Member
I am replacing my back window with the formed plexiglass one. I am considering using silicone instead of fuel tank sealant. The reason I am thinking of using silicone is cost and ease of cleanup.

Any opinions either way?

I used 1/16” self-adhesive neoprene gasket material on the window between the aft edge of the turtle deck and the attachment holes. Just didn’t want to be dealing with adhesive if I ever needed to replace it. Working great now for over 350 hrs. If you can punch neat holes in the gasket, you could go beyond the holes with it too.

Last edited:
Silicone has been known to cause plexiglass to craze. Also it’s pretty much impossible to paint, if that’s a consideration.

I used 1/16” self-adhesive neoprene gasket material on the window between the aft edge of the window and the attachment holes. Just didn’t want to be dealing with adhesive if I ever needed to replace it. Working great now for over 350 hrs. If you can punch neat holes in the gasket, you could go beyond the holes with it too.

Now that I think about it, I put the gasket on the turtle deck between the forward edge and the window attachment holes, not on the window itself.

Last edited:
We attached ours with Sikaflex. Looks great, works great, no issues for the past few years since we did it.

I'll look next time I get a chance. It was a couple years back. I used the same products that are frequently mentioned here for attaching RV-7/8/9 canopies.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Due to time constraints putting the window in I couldn't find Silkaflex in a small quantity fast enough. Aircraft Spruce is close so I got CS3204 and dissected the cartdridge. I ended up mixing 1/2 of it and referigerating the rest. The sealant was squeezed in with a 10cc syringe. A lot of tape was used to protect the paint and window. Even with all the tape there was a bit of sealant cleanup. MEK and Qtips worked well on the painted surfaces to remove the sealant and rubbing alcohol did the removing on the window.