mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Anyone got a reference for connecting the two throttles ?

Perused the plans but can't find any references - does it use a rod or a cable ?

Using the CT83F and CT81F throttles.

Ta

I saw the plans a long time ago Mike, and it was with a push rod, but I don't remember the details - except that it looked like a pain to install, so I didn't.....

Would be interesting to see a cable design!

Paul

Anyone got a reference for connecting the two throttles ?

Perused the plans but can't find any references - does it use a rod or a cable ?

Using the CT83F and CT81F throttles.

Ta

I believe the drawing for the pushrod was included in Van's rear-seat throttle kit. You might ask them if they'd send you a copy. The pushrod works fine and is very simple.

not hard to install at all. Most difficult part is creating the slots on both sides of the wing spar bulkhead channels to account for the vertical rise in the rod through throttle range of motion. A dremel with good cutting bit makes easy work of this.

Well worth it when flying with a passenger who would like to really fly the plane.

rear throttle

I agree with Ken......it serves a handy purpose and was not that difficult to install. We've landed ours from the back seat numerous times just to see how difficult it is. Our landings were normal and rudder/tailwheel control was OK as long as the airplane was moving.

other ways to skin a cat

Search the forum. Lots of people have used other methods to do the same thing easier than the rear seat kit. I have the kit and if I think about it tonight I'll grab the instructions. I've not installed it - I plan on going a simpler way with a pushrod, knob and clevis.

I added the rear throttle and it wasn't too bad.

Landing from the rear presents no particular challenge. It?s about like landing a Citabria from the rear. The only exception is that you must remember to keep your feet inboard (against the front seat) so they don't snag on the adjacent fuselage bulkheads.