woodsideraff

Well Known Member
I'm in the process of installing a rear throttle on my 8A.

I ordered the rear throttle kit from Vans. I manufactured the rear quadrant mounting bracket and cut out the slot for the rear throttle lever. My troubles started when I looked at the alignment of the front and rear quadrants.

The rear throttle kit is designed to work with the three lever quadrant. My two level installation puts the throttle about 3/8" further inboard. Thus, the hole locations for the connecting rod are 3/8" far out of line ... out of the allowable area.

The solution I'm working on consists of displacing the quadrant outboard through spacers. This should work well with the rear connection, but would also put the levers out of alignment with the trhottle and mixture cables. OK, so I moved the cables from the two inboard holes on the cable anchor to the two holes further outboard and algnment seems to be tolerable.

After dissasembling the quadrant, I notice that there are two holes on the throttle lever, one forward and above the other, which is sligthly aft. It seems logical to me that these are the locations for the front cable and rear connecting rod. However, neither of these hole locations correspond to the OP-2 drawing that came with the rear throttle kit.

Before I start drilling holes on the quadrant lever and bulkheads, I would appreciate any guidance from any of you with a similar experience. In particular, what is the distance between the quadrant pivot axis and the throttle cable clevis attachment (this dictates the throttle travel lever arm). Should I scale this from the OP-2 drawing?

Any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards,

Rafael

Rear throttle

I installed my standard (CT82-F) throttles about a month or so ago and to be honest, I read over the instructions, put them down and installed the throttles (they're not real helpful). The top holes in the mixture and throttle are for the cables and the lower hole in the throttle is for the push rod from the rear. Yea, I had an issue with alignment as well.

If you would like to check, the hole in the rear throttle arm should be about same distance from the pivot as the lower hole in the front throttle. It appears to me, they use the same arm/lever for both front and rear throttle.

Of course if you installed the CT82-F Deluxe Quadrant this probably wont help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
:cool:A tip for those thinking about installing the rear throttle. Throttle quadrants, standard or deluxe don't come with the kit for some reason. (I questioned this as I thought they would come with the firewall forward but was told they are options. Strange when the cables/clevis are included.) Consider ordering your quadrants WITH the fuse. That way you can fit them BEFORE you rivet the side skins on. Much easier at that point and you can deal with alignment issues through the bulkheads with much more accuracy.