ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I am taking my neighbor for a ride tomorrow in my RV-4. She is VERY short, about 5'-0". I am concerned that she will not see much over the side rails.

Is it OK for her to sit on a pillow if she is tightly secured? I want her to be able to see, but I am also very concerned about her safety...

Thanks,

Definitely needs a booster

Ginger is the same height and flew backseat with Bob while I flew with Dave. I took a few pics while we were flying form and Ginger looked like Kilroy. While upright, her visibility was limited but increased greatly during "other" portions of the flight. I can't imagine that a properly secured cushion and passenger would be a problem.

In turbulence my passengers booster pad worked its way forward and began applying nose own pressure on the stick. It didnt take long for me to figure it out and ask them to adjust it. Now a booster pad means I remove the rear stick. One or the other. Just a heads up of what happened to me.

I've got a hooker harness with crotch strap in the back that keeps the booster cushion in place. Without that I think I would remove the rear stick as well.

go to Home Depot (or favorite store) and buy one of those pink foam pads (used for garage door insulation). they come in 1, 2 or 3 inch thick. Cut it to the same shape as the seat. Put the foam under seat. That has worked for me. Also, you can add foam wedges in the foot wells if she has short legs.

Shorty

I took my 5'7" 13 year old son flying in my -4 and found he too was sitting too low get the full view deserved. I made a cushion with straps that fit under the back seat and velcroed the straps to the floor. It was a small project for my wife and added greatly to the view for the GIB. Once in place the cushion has not moved.

Phil

Thanks for all the ideas. I removed the rear stick and put a couple chair cushions on the seat. They were almost the same size as the -4 seat and about 3" thick each. Once she was strapped in they lifted her about 4" and that was perfect.

She had her first RV ride and except for having to look at the back of my head she said it was perfect!!! In fact, she can't wait to go again. :)