Paul Walter

just out of interest and i realize each plane will vary but what is the heavyist rear seat passenger that can be carried in an RV 4 ?. I have some big friends.

Paul

Many variables

That is not a simple question, if you are looking for a "hard number". Each plane will have a slightly different CG range/ max weight,ect. Also one must factor fuel load, as the CG moves forward with more fuel, but payload is reduced. In mine, I have carried a pax just over 200 lbs., and as most others will probably tell you, the plane gets very pitch sensitive , and you need to be careful in the landing flare...I dont like pax to be over 180-190 lbs. Just my comfort range, and a lot better with full fuel.

Weight a minute...

just out of interest and i realize each plane will vary but what is the heavyist rear seat passenger that can be carried in an RV 4 ?. I have some big friends. Paul

Paul,
I flew my 150HP/wood prop RV4 for 15 years and 1500 hours and gave many rides. I also flew my best friends 180/CS RV4 numerous times. My personal rule was no more than 200lbs total aft of the roll bar. More and you get very light pitch forces and more difficult stall/spin recovery.

Recommendations? Girls under 120lbs and their camping gear/fishing pole!

V/R
Smokey

200 MAX

If you have a O320 wood prop, I would be VERY careful at anything over 190.
With a big person in the back, you find the stick forces are about zero even at VNE, plus it really drags the tail low on final when you are slow.
Work up to heavy weight, before sticking bubba in the back.

If you have a O320 wood prop, I would be VERY careful at anything over 190.
With a big person in the back, you find the stick forces are about zero even at VNE, plus it really drags the tail low on final when you are slow.
Work up to heavy weight, before sticking bubba in the back.

Good answer,,,, and every RV-4 is a little different or a lot different so do the math before you do anything;)

This early spring when still cool

I took a fellow hanger bud up in the back of my RV-8A. He was so big I had him take off his shoes and had to remove the cushions, bottom and back. Probably 6'3 at least 320 pounds. BIG fellow! The rear control stick still hit his legs and other parts at extreme. Used 10 degrees of flaps on takeoff and climb was about normal but I had to add a bunch of trim to fly level and landing was a non event, except she would not slow down normal on roll out. Took three exits to get off the field without smoking the brakes. I don't think I would want to carry that much weight on a warm day. Bill RV-8A Bluebird

With a 998# empty weight, 1500# gross weight, an O-360, a wood Sterba prop, and CG range 68.7 - 77.4:

Full fuel (32 gal), 190# pilot, no baggage: Max passenger is 120# (gross weight limited) and the CG is 75.42

Half fuel (16 gal), 190# pilot, no baggage: Max passenger is 196# (CG limited) and the CG is 77.4

So you can see that there is quite a range of passenger weights depending on your empty weight, pilot weight, and fuel load...

Hope this helps.

MTOW

Hi Dave

The MTOW on my 4 is 1650 ''???

Did you do any specific mode to your -4 to get a 1650 MTOW or you simply got it signed off by the MDRA's guy at this weight ??

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]