Anna

Hi everybody!

We are on to install the Rear Seat Rudder Pedals on our RV-8 QB.

I?ve got a question concerning the F-8117 Guide Bracket installation. We found pre-drilled holes on the bottom of Bulkhead F-804. I think these holes are for the nutplate installation, right?

We copied these holes to the top of the F-804 Bulkhead. If we install a MS21051-L08 nutplate (like shown in drawing OP-5), the hole doesn?t align with the second screw in the F-804 Bulkhead. The K1000-08 would fit perfectly. How did you do that? Maybe the drawing is not the latest revision?

Does every RV-8 have these pre-drilled holes in the bottom of the F-804 Bulkhead?

By the way ? what is the right drill bit for the screw hole?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards
Anna

Anna,
Since no one else has replied, I'll take a stab at trying to help you. FYI, in the future, try to use the exact part number for the part you are referring to. Regarding the portion of the F-804 assembly where the mounting nut plates for the rear seat rudder pedal mounts attach, are you referring to the F-804B-1 assembly? Refer to Dwg 11.
My kit is much older and I am working from Dwg 11 revision 1. What is the revision number of your Dwg 11? What revision number is your Rear Seat Rudder Pedal drawing? I will have to go to my shop to view my Rear Seat Rudder Pedal drawing. I don't have a PDF copy of it, here, at home.
Regarding the hole size for a #8 nut plate. Initially drill the center hole to #30. This will allow you to use a 1/8" [copper] cleco to hold the nut plate to the F-804B-1. Do NOT drill that hole to finished size until you have drilled the holes for the rivets which will hold the nut plate to the F-804B-1. With the nut plate held in place by the 1/8" cleco, use the nut plate as a guide to drill the #40 holes for the rivets which will hold the nut plate to the F-804B-1. Drill the first #40 hole and install a 3/32" [silver] cleco. Drill the second #40 hole. Now you can drill the screw
hole out from #30 to the finished size of a #19 drill [.166" diameter]
I ask about your revision number of Dwg 11, because as I remember, those brackets were originally intended to be riveted to the F-804B-1, F-863-L & F-863-R. They were not held on with screws and nut plates. When I installed mine, I chose to use #8 screws and nut plates, to make installation and removal of the rear rudder pedals quick and easy. I felt that they could be left out of the aircraft most of the time, as your rear seat passenger would not be a licensed pilot.
Charlie
PS You can see my installation linked below

http://www.vansairforce.com/communi...7621&highlight=Rear+seat+rudder+pedals&page=2

Last edited:
Me too

Anna,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I am guessing you may have already moved on.

I have a matched hole fuselage and I had the same confusion. I believe that the OP-5 drawing is simply out of date.

From memory, my F-804A-2 had holes in it for the nutplates that I match drilled to the upper F-804B-2. I too found that the holes did not line up with the MS21051-L08 nutplates as shown in the OP-5 drawing. I will use two K1000-08 nutplates.

I haven?t done it yet, but I am planning on match drilling the F-8117-L/R to the F-804 center section after I have it screwed to the F-880A Fwd Seat Ramp. I don?t have the seat ramp done yet.

A #19 drill bit works well for #8 screws. I have a cheat sheet for aircraft hardware because I get confused as to what HW goes with what. http://www.billfinnell.com/mechanical/ac_hw.html

I have clearence issues on mine

The nut plates will not be like on the drawing op5 dated 6/15/98

oops

refering to view CC , my k1000 nutplate is straight. so I may have to use a corner nut plate instead of the ms21051

Last edited:
great fix/mod

ahh I cut off the horizantal flange on the guide bracket and riveted on a wider one that captures the seat base flange nutplate. I could have made a new guide bracket as well; less fasteners, stronger and no new holes actually one less I did not have to add. Should be on the plans this way.