Low n Slow

Well Known Member
Does Vans provide the parts (or a design) to add a handle that’ll allow a rear seat passenger to open the canopy? And if not, has anyone done so?

Last edited:
Makes good sense to me

I have thought about this quite often while working on my 4. I've been to a few fly-ins with lots of RV-4's but have never seen such a mod. Even if there are no examples, I would like to hear other 4 owners thoughts on it. Thanks for bringing it up.

Sincerely,

I'm not aware of one from Vans. I've had 4 RV's....none had rear latches.....nor have I seen one elsewhere. It's a bit of a stretch but the rear passenger should be able to reach forward to unlatch the canopy if required. That said, I'd bet someone has designed one for the rear seater.

My current F1 Rocket project (very similar to an RV4) has rear seat latches and I came VERY close to eliminating them from the aircraft. You never know what your passenger might want to hold onto. Then there's always the "hey...what's this knob for" when you're cruising along at 7500' :eek:

Does Vans provide the or parts (or a design) to add a handle that’ll allow a rear seat passenger to open the canopy? And if not, has anyone done so?

Last edited:
I have puzzled about this also. I will have the seats in before long and then want to know if in fact the rear seat pax can reach it. Far from sure.

The back of the -4 does treat the pax a bit like a sack of potatoes. Normally no rudder pedals, no throttle, no latch etc.

My thought was I would get it flying first and then sort things out. I plan to have a heavy duty knife or something for emergency exit and will make sure this is very accessible to the pax.

…It's a bit of a stretch but the rear passenger should be able to reach forward to unlatch the canopy if required...
Good point, I hadn’t thought of that and just assumed it wasn’t reachable. I’ll see if I can get to it from the back next time I get to the hanger.

My current F1 Rocket project (very similar to an RV4) has rear seat latches and I came VERY close to eliminating them from the aircraft. You never know what your passenger might want to hold onto. Then there's always the "hey...what's this knob for" when you're cruising along at 7500' :eek:
I actually had the same thought, but then figured it would be no worse than if a passenger gave the ‘wing removal stick’ a good yank.

Maybe I’m getting too paranoid, but what if an accident renders me unconscious, then a fire starts and the passenger needs to get out. I can just imagine some attorney having a field day about not giving him/her an exit.

Last edited:
Part of my preflight briefing is to show the passenger the latching rod (beside their left shoulder) and advise them that if they grip it firmly and shove it forward they can open the canopy and that it is intentionally difficult because opening it in flight and jettisoning it are the same thing.