jscottpilot

On page 38 of the RV-8 prepunch fuselage instructions it states "Bolt the F-857B-R-1 Seat Belt to the 857C-R-1 Seat belt Bracket, and F-889-R-1 Lower Longeron (See Detail D DWG 71). Reapet this step with left side assembly"

I did what was stated but did not look at the plans carefully. The plans clearly state that the Seat Belt bracket Slides between the F-857C-r-1 and the F-889-R-1. I bolted the seat belt bracket to the bottom of the 857 and the 889 instead of between because that is the only place it would fit. When I arrived at the section where the flap bearing blocks are installed I discovered they would not fit because the Seat belt brackets where in the way. This is when I discovered the Brackets were to fit between the 889 and the 857 not below. BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM. There is not room between the 889 and the 857. Has anyone run into this problem? What did I do wrong. I went back and read the instructions regarding all this and it appears there is no reason the brackets should not fit between the two.

Not Sure about Pre-Punched Kits

On the old style kit, you riveted the 857A and B together, then clamped the assembly to the longeron. The 857C got clamped on top of the B, tight against the skin. Once you checked the fore and aft position, you drilled through the pre-punched holes in the 824 skin into the 857C. My old plans advised to wait on drilling the bolt holes through the assembly and 889 longeron until the 857C was riveted to the skin, to make sure the surface of the skin was smooth.

Unfortunately, I don't know how it is done on the new kits. Here is a picture of the assembly on the right side of my 8, but I don't know if it will help. It's tough to get a camera in there now for a good angle. Good luck.

f857picturepy5.jpg

In between

I'm away from home for the week, so can't get pics, but my seatbelt brackets are most certainly in between, though it is a tight squeeze and some dry boelube certainly helps get them in there. I suspect there are pics on my kitlog somewhere...

Yes, they go betwween and it's a tight fit. This is one area where pre-punched holes cause problems. Once bolted in, I found that these brackets tend to scallop the side skins once they are rivetted on :(. This would not be a problem if these were drilled in assembly...

Sometimes things just should not be pre-punch.

I talked to Vans this morning. He said it should fit. I can jam the part in there but it just seems it would be better to take out the upper piece of angle and replace it with a no prepunch angle and drill it to fit correctly.