Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all-
I just installed my seats. The rear seat seems pretty flexible (ie, leaning back too hard might bend the aluminum seatback 433A), although less so with the cushion installed. I'm curious if 433A per plans is sufficiently stiff, or if anyone has found it necessary to rivet a piece of angle across the back?
Eric

I can't speak to the -4 directly, but I am pretty sure that both the -3 and the -8 (back seat) have an angle across the top of the aluminum. I'd think it would be pretty flimsy without it.

Seatbacl in RV 4

Several years ago Van's put out a memo about this very potential hazard of the seat busting into the baggage area. If i remember correctly he made available brackets that needed to be installed. I did install them in my RV4 after I had already completed it. It was a little difficult to get the rivets in but with little patience was able to complete the installation.

Different from bulkhead gusset

Deke and Ironflight-
Deke, you are referring to bulkhead gusset F-482, which prevents the seat from folding back into the baggage compartment (I have these installed). My concern is the seatback itself, between the shoulders seems flimsly.
Ironflight, before posting I cross-referenced the RV8 manual Drawing 76 but I don't see anything there either...

Put the gussets in

There was a drawing revision, maybe even a Vans SB...I put them in mine, and its very simple and effective. Check the Vans SB index,if you cant find anything,send me a PM, and I will take a picture for you.

Pictures please

It would be great if you could post the pictures here but I am sending a PM as well as I would be like to see any pictures as well. Thanks!

Vans says OK as is

I spoke with the factory today and they didn't seem to think it was a concern. Again, the issue here is NOT the 482 gussets, which I have in place, it's just a flexible seat back; but once I put in the cushion, it should be less of an issue since the pressure will be more evenly distributed.