364kix

I'm New Here
Can rudder pedals be added to the rear of a finished RV4 without a great deal of difficulty and what all is involved if possible?

My Father and I did the Van's kit. The kit looks pretty simple, but there are some real challenges with fitting the blocks, then drilling and securing. We also split the floor panels that the pedals extend thru and used some baffel material riveted on either side to close off the slots and prevent things from falling in. Because of the location of the power quadrant and electical panel we also had to modify the pedals themselves to move the rod that connects the rear seat pedals to the front rudder pedals. We had to get a welder and remove the rod then drill the pedal and move it down an inch or so to clear the throttle assy on the left and the elect buss panel on the right. Also important to see what is behind the bulkhead thru which fairleads are mounted for the rods to connect to the rudder. It was quite a job and it seemed I spent the better part of a week inside the darned airplane. As usual with such things, it seemed a good bit of time was spent in measuring, fitting, modifying a bit and refitting. Seems like a lot of time I was on my side in a very small space wishing I was a lot shorter and much more flexible. I haven't take a back seater up with me yet to try the pedals. I do notice that they just graze my butt a tad and will have to see if they are all that practical. I have a stick for the rear seat, and now rudder pedals and a radio xmit button, but I have no way to reach the throttle quadrant from the back.

Rear seat rudder pedals

I have a set of rear seat rudder pedals you can have for free if you want them. They are used and I pulled them out of my RV-4, they got in the way of the small pubs kit I carry.

May be Dayton can post some pics of his. The ones he made are nice, simple and functional.

If you have your tools handy, you can install these in 10-20 minutes tops. And they work great.

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76&products_id=325

Here's the pertinent text and a couple photos:
Rear seat rudder pedal kit
$125.00
Originally designed for Rockets and RV-4s, these pedals can be installed in aircraft having rudder cables that run above the floorboards along the sidewalls.

The pedals are 6" tall, 3 1/2" wide and are made from 1/2" diameter 6061 anodized aluminum.

As seen in the photos, the pedals fold up for use, and fold down on the floor when not needed. When folded down they are completely ineffective, meaning you don't have to worry about your rear seat passenger stepping on a pedal at a bad time... like during landing roll out!

Easy installation. Installs quickly with only a couple screws necessary on each side. The cable clamps install quickly and securely on any 1/8" cable.

index.php

index.php

Sadly, these don't readily adapt to the RV-8 because it has its rudder cables below the floorboards.