Flyin4Fun

I am thinking about installing rudder pedals for the rear seat on my -4.

I would greatly appreciate it if some one could send me the installation instructions and maybe some pictures of how they are installed.

Thanks,

The one I bought had back seater rudder pedals and throttle. During my rebuild I decided to exclude the rear seat controls except for a removable stick. I can't foresee having a passenger do anything but enjoy the ride. Everything can be re-installed if I change my mind later, but I plan on using the area where the rudder pedals go for storage.

Dunno about the -4, but on our -8A the backseat rudder pedals are virtually unusable.

My wife can't reach them at all, and even I can just barely move them a teensy bit with my toes.

I'm glad we've got the throttle and stick in the back hole (we're both pilots, and neither of us wanted to be helpless back there) but the rudder pedal mod seems to have been a waste of money, in retrospect.

When I was looking at -4s I was pretty set on wanting dual controls. The one I ended up with did have them, albeit a bit hokey. Both the rudder pedals and throttle were in awkward places that were useable but definitely less than ideal.

I ended up removing the rear throttle (rudders had a quick disconnect to lay flat & be out of my way) and I haven't looked back. Through my ~60/hrs as a new -4 owner I can say that generally, most my flights are solo and I just don't have enough pilot friends that sit in the back often enough to warrant dual controls; a stick keeps them plenty interested.

I might sing a different tune if I could see a well done installation but again, with the potential cost & effort compared to how it would benefit me, it just turned into a wishlist item for my "perfect -4" but hardly as necessary as I had originally imagined.

Of course your mission may be different; just a point to consider. Good luck!

I worked hard installing rear seat rudder pedals and a throttle on my four. I think they work well and are a nice touch. But, after a year and a half of flying, no one has used them yet! I would probably skip it next time.