Don sargant

I'm New Here
Hello

After finally getting my RV8 flying I have been sorting out a few things , the canopy would lift & let a gale in through the rear skirt I have cured that thanks to trawling through this forum.

The thing that has got me at the moment is when I take the plane past 140knts & then reduce speed to 90knts there is a metalic bang in the rear behind the baggage bay , i have checked all the controls & flying surfaces all are secure & tight. Im wondering if the fuselage expands or contracts at speed then as speed is reduced something goes back to its usual shape a bit like a biscuit tin..

It doesnt happen unless I get over 140 knts prior to slowing down. I have crawled undernieth at the rear & there is a panel that if you tap with the palm of your hanbd makes the same noise..

I dont have the upper intersection fairings fitted yet & this may account for it !!

Im just wondering if anybody else has come across this problem & couold shed any light on it.

However the 8 is an awesome beast & having lots of fun while experimenting.

Best wishes

Don

G-LUDM

RV8 QB

Vlad

Thx for thats its almost exactly what I thought was happening Im just wondering now what the fix should be if any ??

I will email vans & see what they think.

Regards

Don

Floor drumming

Don,
On my 8 the noise was coming from the aft floor bay directly behind the elevator bellcrank bay. I prosealed a piece of 3/4 aluminun angle from bulkhead to next bulkhead across the fuse skin on the inside and it stopped all the noise completely. If you need, I'll take photos and post.

Bill

Thx for the info, your pics would be appreciated when you get a chance, im glad its not just my plane it has happened to & pleased there is a fix for it.

Regards

Don..

Fuselage noise

If you are using the springs and chains from the kit to steer the tailwheel, then I'd bet that they are banging back there. I've flown close trail behind several RVs and the springs and chains rise and fall several times a minute from the airflow. Either tighten the chains or go to a single steering link like the Silver Bullet.

Hi Danny

I received my Doug Bell tail fork yesterday & fitted it straight away along with the Lynx tailwheel links & flew it this afternoon & the noise is still there..

Im waiting for my upper intersection fairings to arrive so i can install those & see if that makes any difference I was amazed at the tailshake at the stall so hoping for some improvement with those fitted as there is alot of turbulance back there.

Cheers for now

Don..

RV8 QB G=LUDM.

Don...

Do NB that the shaking and noise and turbulence at the stall is what allows the RV-8 (in the UK) to fly without a stall warner... unlike the SBS variants (and probably the RV-8A). It sounds like yours is a bit extreme, but I would not aim to get rid of all the noises approaching the stall ;)

ATB
Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ

Tail shake

If you are flying without upper fairings, and you are talking about tail shake at or near stall, then what you are getting is normal. Even with fairings installed, the Doll will shake/shutter just prior to the stall break. I consider this to be a good thing. She will do this at slow speed stalls, and at high speed accelerated stalls.

There is one other type of tail shake that has not been discussed in a while, so I'd like to bring it up again. RV-8s will get a violent tail shake when using full rudder during a slip. This occurs in the Doll well above stall, and should not be confused with pre-stall tail shake. This is a very violent condition where the HS is flexing up and down several inches at the tip, and the whole airframe is shuddering. After discovering this, other RV-8 pilots tested their RV-8's and this condition seems to be affected by how the upper fairing is made. I stopped using full rudder during slips to avoid the stress placed on the HS. There is still plenty of rudder left to perform effective slips without experiencing this form of tail shake.

I would not try to stop the normal pre-stall tail shake that exist in the RV-8. It is normal and a good pre-stall warning.

Regarding the oil canning problem, ProSeal is a great way to stick a piece of angle in an oil canning bay. If you don't have any left, you can use UHB tape which is available at Lowe's, or HD in small rolls. (UHB = ultra high bonding)

If you'd like a LARGE roll of UHB tape for other uses, upholstery panels, etc. I carry it in my store at a great price.

Vince

Thx for posting your web store details the 8 canopy latch you sent me arrived swiftly & I installed it today all works perfect.

Thx again for your prompt service.

best wishes

Don sargant

G-LUDM.