THANKS

I have not developed the habit of looking for such things yet in ALL sections of the main site. I have started looking at the 'correction release' section some. I know I would have missed this.

John Bender
Iowa

What might cause this? Is there something about the design or manufacturing process for RV 12 fuselage bulkheads that is different from the other kits?

Yep, I just got an e-mail on this subject;

DO NOT REPLY to this e-mail [email protected]
IS NOT MONITORED

For questions please contact [email protected]

Attn: All RV-12 Emp/Cone Builders

Regarding RV-12 Service Letter dated 12/09/08:

This service letter details inspection of RV-12 aft fuselage bulkheads for minor cracking.
Only RV-12 Emp/Cone Kits shipped prior to December 4, 2008 are affected by this Service Letter.

Summary:
Inspect RV-12 Fuselage Frames F-1208-L/R, F-1209-L/R and F-1210A-L/R for minor cracking. For further details go online to:
http://vansaircraft.com/public/notices.htm#inverted http :
under "Letters and Notices"
Dated: 12/09/08
Titled "Fuselage Frame Inspection"

Anyone have any idea if we should go thru the trouble of performing some type of NDE examination, such as dye penetrant (or whatever is most appicable), or is the visual examination sufficient. I have not assembled these parts yet so anything is very easy at this point.

cracks

My opinion would be a careful visual inspection is sufficient. The areas have been identified, so there must have been something seen in those areas.

Likely a good reminder we should be looking for problems with ANY parts.

John Bender
Iowa

Second CRACK at getting fuselage ...

My first fuselage kit arrived 12/1/2008 and was refused because of the condition of the the crate (discussed in a another thread). :( I called Van's today and asked that they be sure the second CRACK at a fuselage delivery is without a CRACK in the fuselage ( ;) ) ... a reasonable request, I believe. They agreed. :)

I am a little confused.

I got the e-mail as well. It stated emp.tail cone kits, and also says that emp/ tail cone kits shipped after the 4th are fine, but pictures refere to fuse parts.

The "tail" kit actually in the empecone kit, with the fuse from the baggage bulkhead on back to the emp included in the kit.

F-1208, F-1209 and F-1210 L/R are parts contained in the tailcone/empennage kit. Just inspected mine visually today and found no cracks. Will find a magnifying glass and do it again. The blue plastic was pulled back on all of interior radius', on my parts, and. may have been inspected prior to shipment. They were shipped on November 26, received them on December 5.

Last edited:
I inspected my tailcone bulkheads last night, and the large one had a crack on one half (1208R). The crack was across the flange and past the radius, into the web. I called Vans this morning, and told them I really didn't want to accept a part with that big a defect, and they agreed. Their sending me a replacement, no problem. These folks really are a pleasure to work with! In this day and age, their business practices really stand out. Steve

have to check mine tonite, but just got a fed ex email that vans is shipping something to me 6.6 lbs, i also recieved the email about checking out the parts for cracks. Vans does seem to have thier @#$# together and am glad I went with this over choices B and C....

Fuselage frame trim

I didn't want to start a new thread. On page 10-06 step 9, It says J channels should not interfere with frames, and should clear them.The F-1281 J channels were severely cramping the frames.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ia3rDDeHUH7pRv-En8NBWg
When I filed it to clear, it seems more airworthy, like the J channel won't rub, but the rivet (cleco in the photo) seems to need more strength to hold the J channel back.

What was the intent?

Last edited: