tiger10

I'm New Here
Due th having a heavy ( angle valve ) engine and a nose gear, I will need to install the battery in the rear. I also plan on using an autopilot and need the spot just in front of the bell crank for the A/P servo. I am ussing an oddesy 680 and plan to install the mount between the side stringers under the aft baggage floor. Has anyone tried this and if so how is it working. Any ideas or sugestions, e-mail me off line.
Thanks

I have an aft-mounted PC680 right where Van's drawing show it. My autpilot servo is mounted BEHIND the ballcrank (per the Tru-Trak drawings) - works great, and plenty of room. You can get their installation drawings of their web site. Might give you some ideas.

Paul

I keep going back and forth on this...
I plan on a parallel IO-360, maybe composite prop. Odyssey battery.

I'm wondering if it is worth the extra weight / hassle of putting it in back and running the wiring forward vs. just mounting it on the firewall... ?

Paul, did you ground yours to the airframe / longeron or run a separate ground forward?

T.

TShort said:
Paul, did you ground yours to the airframe / longeron or run a separate ground forward?

T.

I just grounded it to the longeron - haven't had any trouble.

Paul

<<I have an aft-mounted PC680 right where Van's drawing show it.>>

I second Paul. A previous RV-8A of my acquaintance (IO360 angle valve, CS metal prop) was right at the forward CG limit even with a rear-mounted Concorde battery (heavier than a PC680) and S-Tec servo. Not a problem, but it flew much nicer with weight in the back seat.

<<My autpilot servo is mounted BEHIND the ballcrank (per the Tru-Trak drawings)>>

Trio will also have a rear mount drawing shortly, so no head-scratching with either choice.

Last edited: