DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Re the F877A rear battery tray, why the four big K1000-4 nutplates in the rear flange? Haven't found a clue in the QB plans set. Some sort of bulkhead for mounting the master solenoid? An optional battery box cover?

All I got with my QB kits was the F877A tray and the 1/4"D hold-down bolts. No sign of the F-877B angles or the F877C battery hold-down, not even on the packing lists. Odd.

Those nutplates are for the battery and starter contactors [for some reason these would be called the master and starter solenoids if it were a car, but for aircraft they are conventionally called contactors].

The battery contactor should be next to the battery, so this is a good location. Depending on your electrical system design, you may want the starter contactor here, or you may want it on the firewall.

<<Those nutplates are for the battery and starter contactors >>

Thank you sir. Should have remembered that.

I think I'll make a new tray to better fit and clamp a PC680, and move the contactor around on the side.

The tray per plans works well, even if a little larger than needed for some smaller modern RG batteries. Van's suggests starter solenoid on the firewall. If you put it with the battery, you'd have two long runs of #2 wire I think. It (#2) is pretty heavy! I put the starter contacter where Van said and it seems a good location. Bill