Stalldog

Well Known Member
I'm finally ready to install the rear baffles on both tanks. Before I mix too much or waste time by mixing too little, how much ProSeal have you used to install one baffle?

I just did one baffle this past saturday and used a total of about 250 grams but I'm also on my third quart of PPG 890 proseal :eek:. More is better right?!?!?!? If you have a proseal gun, It makes it much easier!!! I mixed two 100 gram cartridges & then mixed a 50 gram cup thinned 5% with toluene for "painting" all the contact surfaces of the baffle, back sides of the ribs & "twirling" the pop rivets in... It's not too bad if you lay it all out & have a game plan. I'm actually taking off work friday to close up my second tank. Good luck!!

I used about 100 grams for the baffle bead, the corners and the aft of the ribs.

I loaded a big 60cc seringue in 2 shots with the end opened up with a 5/32" drill bit.

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

This is the "pushed" bead viewed from inside.
IMG_1108.jpg

Happy sealing !!!

An excerpt from my build log when closing my first tank:

Starting with about 115 grams of mixed sealant, I laid down 3/16 beads just forward of the skin rivet holes, and just inside the end rib rivet holes. I laid the beads down with a 60 cc syringe from drugstore.com that comes with about a 5/32 nozzle. It took a couple of fillings of the syringe to get the beads down. Then, per instructons, I applied a thin layer of sealant around each rib hole before dropping the baffle in place.

Ready for the baffle:
FP02102012A0004Z.jpg

Good beads along the baffle:
FP02102012A00051.jpg

Thanks, fellas, pretty good variation on quantities, so guess I'll start out around 150 g mixed and see where that takes me. It's supposed to get cold again so it will help slow down the cure time in case I need to make more. Will be using a drugstore syringe which has worked well for me on the rest of the build.

Update

Well, I mixed 140 g white, 14 g black, and 2 g toluene. Ran out and had to mix another 70 g white, 7 g black, 1 g toluene to finish. I buttered the ends of the ribs and put a smear down along the rivet line before putting down the 3/16 bead, plus I thinly buttered the sides of the baffle and the flanges on the z brackets, so I did more than per the plans. To do the pop rivets and end rib 470 rivets, including shop heads, it took another 20 g white and 2 g black. The baffle rivets, including shop heads, took another 30 g white, 3 g black. All in all, I spent 10 hours assembling the baffle on the right tank. The wedge pop rivet tool posted elsewhere in VAF worked great. I cleco'd every hole -- no pillowing problem. I shot all the rivets, just seemed quicker for me and I wanted to drive the rivets into the c/sinks in the baffles. Even though I had deepened the c/sinks to get a good ring around the rivets before the ProSeal, I could have still gone another click or two. About 2/3 turned out flush, and the other 1/3 are a hair proud, but not very much. I've got a feeling dimpling would have provided a better place for ProSeal to seal, but it might have made pushing the baffle down more difficult.

I test fit the tank on the wing last night and everything seems to line up just fine. Tank does not appear to sit proud on the spar even though I thinly buttered every rib and z bracket flange.