yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
I've just about got the yaw trimmmed out in 143WM (S.N. 120241) but it has taken an excessive rudder wedge. I have a wedge on the left side of the rudder that's the length and width of the standard Avery wedge, but instead of 3/8" in thick at the trailing edge it's a full 1" thick. Experiment showed me that one wedge twice as thick as the Avery Wedge gave the same result as two of them end-to-end, so I just kept making thicker ones. I'm open for suggestions-- I thought about increasing the tension on the right rudder cable, but think that would just result in displacing the pedal, not the rudder. I have the wedge high on the rudder, about 3/4 the way up. I'm open to any/all suggestions to help with the yaw trim.

I had a wedge on my -6, 3/8" thick, 6" long. Offset the VS 1/8" to the left and was able to remove the wedge...ball in the center.

I can't imagine why a trim wedge would be 1" thick, buy the I don't know what an Avery wedge is. As I stated some time ago I mtd a trim wedge that is 7" long, 1 and 1/2 wide, and tapers from 1/16' at front to 3/8' at rear. It's made of balsa wood and is JB welded to the rudder. Placed it with vertical center on the first row of rivets on the rudder. Doesn't look bad at all and is very effective.
It's about what I did on my 6A as well.
Dick Seiders