ToadMan8

OK, I assume I know the answer to this one, but I don't want my assumption to get me six months from now.

We're getting started riveting the reinforcement bars to the rear spar channel on the horizontal stabilizers, and this uses 470 rivets. Am I correct in assuming that it doesn't matter which side has the manufactured head and which has the shop head, and that whichever is the easier way to set it is the way to go?

I can't think how it would make a difference!

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really stupid answer????

Based on common aviation practice, mostly applied to bolts, I would install front to back if that is the situation. Of course if installed laterally on the plane I think the choice is yours!

My 2 cent worth....

Riveting rule

With all things being equal, meaning you could
buck or squeeze from either direction, the manuf. head,
should be on the thinner or softer material. The shop head ( made in
your shop) should be on the thicker or harder material.

With all things being equal, meaning you could
buck or squeeze from either direction, the manuf. head,
should be on the thinner or softer material. The shop head ( made in
your shop) should be on the thicker or harder material.

Perfect, thank you! I'm back to it!

In more hard-to-access assemblies, another consideration might be which side will be easier to remove the rivet from.

Which caught me yesterday.

Dave

However you can best get them in is OK

You should strive for consistency on given assembly but there are many situations where the tool access determines which direction a specific rivet is installed. Either direction is OK.

Bob Axsom

sage advise

In more hard-to-access assemblies, another consideration might be which side will be easier to remove the rivet from.

Which caught me yesterday.

Dave

I did the exact same. I assumed rivets might need to be drilled so I put the factory head where I could get to it.