sailvi767

Well Known Member
When flying a experimental aircraft what is the proper call sign to use with the FAA for filing flight plans or picking up flight following. Is it required to use Experimental with the call sign or is the N number acceptable.

George

This has been discussed a few times before:rolleyes:

There is no solid answer--------we have a few controllers on the forum, and they are not consistent in their answers, it seems to be a local area preference.

There are FARs that deal with it, but again, the comments from the controllers have not always been in line with a strict interpretation of these regs either.

And before someone gets the idea I am bashing controllers, not so.

One of my neighbors who is a retired controller gave me a bad time for using "experimental" in my radio calls-------and another buddy who is a controller says to use it in the initial contact, then no more.

Around here (central Calif) most folks use "RV" and the N number, most of the local control guys know what an "RV" is.

Paragraph (28) of operating limitations:

"The pilot in command of this aircraft must notify air traffic control of the experimental nature of this aircraft when operating into or out of airports with an operational control tower. When filing IFR, the experimental nature of the aircraft must be listed in the remarks section of the flight plan."

O.K., I'll take the bait

Mike,
You got a problem with controllers?

No, not at all.

Said so in my first post.

My reference to them is based on who I feel should be looked at as an authority in questions like this------nothing more.

Just messing with ya, Mike. I think your original answer was spot on. If the controllers can't even agree on it, it is probably one of those never ending debates and each opinion has valid reasons as to why or why not.

Wouldn't this just go away if we used NX registration numbers?

First off, you can't use "NX" numbers unless you aircraft is over 30 years old or is a replica of one over 30 years old.

Secondly, the "X" is not part of the registration number and is never used in any paperwork or verbal communications.

The "X", when used, simply replaced the "Experimental" placard on the aircraft.

This gives rise to the thought that a dedicated form of "N" number could be used to identify experimental.

Maybe if they used "XN"?????

Sure would deflate the debate:rolleyes:

As an air traffic controller in Canada, in our MANOPS it says to include "Experimental" upon initial contact with ATC and then disregard for all further communications.

Cheers

Chris

While I use "Experimental" since that is what I think the FARs mean, why wouldn't "RV" fulfill the requirement since all RVs are experimental?

First off, you can't use "NX" numbers unless you aircraft is over 30 years old or is a replica of one over 30 years old.

Secondly, the "X" is not part of the registration number and is never used in any paperwork or verbal communications.

Oh, yeah I forgot. Thanks

Ron,
Because many controllers are aircraft illiterate and they don't know what an RV is. Many do not know the difference between a Navajo and a Bonanza. I find that the higher ( altitude) you go, the less likely the controller will know about small aircraft. They center guys are used to Boeings or Airbuses.

Wow, I had no idea the question would generate all the responses. Sounds like the answer is simple. On first contact with a controlling agency use Experimental in the call sign. After that if he replies with just the N number its ok to reply that way.

George

Wow, I had no idea the question would generate all the responses. Sounds like the answer is simple. On first contact with a controlling agency use Experimental in the call sign. After that if he replies with just the N number its ok to reply that way.

George

Actually, if you want to be working EXACTLY by the regs, you have it almost right - you only have to use "Experimental" in first contact with a Control Tower - not just any controlling agency. Does it make sense? Not really - but that's what the wording in the regs actually say....

It always made sense to me, in the first transmission, you separate yourself from another similar last three person. He MIGHT have another 53R working, and this lets him know he now has TWO 53R's in the pattern.
Actually, if you want to be working EXACTLY by the regs, you have it almost right - you only have to use "Experimental" in first contact with a Control Tower - not just any controlling agency. Does it make sense? Not really - but that's what the wording in the regs actually say....

So, does that mean that after I contact ground for taxi clearance, I shouldn't have to use the word "experimental" in any of my later calls? ie., approach, Center etc...