Toddsanderson

Well Known Member
Flew the plane for the first time IFR today. Light IFR - roughly 500' & 3/4 mile, but still required approaches. This plane is just so dang easy to fly and the G3X/650/507 combo makes life easy. Autopilot is dead on. I originally wanted a plane with a parachute so my wife would be comfortable, but with how easy this plane is to fly and autopilot capability I am positive I can teach her to land this plane in any weather.

I'm averaging around 168 knots @ 9.2-10.2 GPH depending on altitude running about 20DLOP and WOT/2500 RPM. Very nice to be able to fly approaches at 150 knots indicated and simply pull the power when hitting the FAF to slow down to flap speed about 1 mile out. No worries about gear speeds or anything else.

Such a great overall airplane. I don't know what I would ever replace it with to get the room, efficiency, and all around performance. I was going to buy a JMB VL3 916 to get the chute and maybe another 20 knots, but insurance is over 10k, gear speed is 85 knots, and while the Rotax is a great engine - it is more expensive to maintain. My 390 with PMAGS starts easy hot or cold and will run at 100 LOP if desired.

You’re right!

I actually typed up a big message, detailing why you’re spot on. I deleted it. It all boils down to the fact that you’re exactly right! The-14 is an incredibly well behaved, great performing aircraft. My wife has rarely controlled an aircraft, but I think she would be able to land the-14.
Enjoy!