mburch

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi folks,

I have a handful of EAO legend lights (most commonly available from Aircraft Spruce) that I'd planned to use for my panel annunciator lights. However, when I stood in the baking sun in my driveway this weekend and hooked one of these lights to my 12V bench power supply, I was disappointed to see that I could barely tell if it was on or off. I realize that there will be a glareshield in the real airplane, but still I was hoping for better sunlight viewability. Another builder (Kevin H) has used Vivisun lights in his project, but those look really expensive.

So... anyone have any suggestions for some brighter annunciators that won't totally break the bank? A square face that I can put some text labels on would be ideal, but I suppose I could settle for round lights if I had to.

thanks,
mcb

Some of them actually have dimmers that have to be turned up. We could barely see ours and took it back out and there was a set screw for the brightnest. Now it is bright!

I have found that the ones I used on both Louise's and my new annunciator are plenty bright for my eyes. If they were much brighter, you might have trouble getting them dim enough for night flying. Check out this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=27010

Thanks Paul... now that you mention it, I remember you pointing these out once before. They look pretty similar to the ones ACS sells, but heck, for less than a buck apiece how can I not give them a try? I'll post back here for posterity once I receive and evaluate a boxful.

cheers,
mcb

annunciators

I also used the ACS lamp for my EMS AOA warning wired to my Dynons. As one of those pilots that always has trouble remembering that my navs and strobes are on, I opted to install flip up switch guards on all of my lighting, ful pump, and primer switch. That guard sticking up really reminds me of the switch position, and I have the guards engraved as to thier fuction.

Just a bit of thought for panel planning....Chris

Super Bright LEDs

I bought the warning lights from SteinAir (round) and knew I wanted something brighter for my EIS warning light. I pulled the assembly apart and replace the LED with a Super Bright LED. Huge difference, and definitely noticeable even on a bright sunny day. I still have a couple yellow indicators with the original LEDs for my aux pump and ignition and they are only noticeable at night - so on the list of things to do is replace those LEDs as well..
It may take a bit of work, but you could replace the bulbs in the square indicators with LEDs (don't forget the proper resistor) bright enough to assure they will be noticed.