DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Quick check please. Pulled out my spinner kit today. The backplate is dished quite a lot, about 3/16" or so when you lay a straightedge across it. Is that common, or did I get the bad one?

Mine was like that too. I asked on here and virtually nobody would admit to having one. I can tell you that if you try to undish it you'll end up with an out of true condition instead (ask me how I know this). After I screwed one up, the replacement was a tiny bit better, but still dished. I made sure it was true and went ahead with it.

No apparent dish on mine. I just put the spinner together within the past two weeks and both plates were fairly true.

The prop will flatten it..

......pretty much to where it needs to be, Dan. Ours had a little "dish" as well when we first installed it. 410 hours now.

Regards,

<<The prop will flatten it..>>

Wish it was true <g> This one is going on a Hartzell CS; the backplate hangs on 4 hub bolts instead of being clamped between the prop face and the engine flange.

I think I'm going to treat this as an opportunity to build a "screwless" spinner.

FYI, I spoke with Ken at Vans this AM. Ken says all available S602-1 backplates are dished, and pulling the S602-1 and S602B together won't hurt anything in the practical sense.

With the center removed per a CS Hartzell application, mine was still dished 1/8" when measured at the edge of the cutout. I did a trial assembly, fully riveted. The result is a lot of deformation at the rivet locations; obviously something has to give when you pull a dished part into compliance with a flat part. Personal choice; these parts are now patterns.

Don't think the dishing hurts a thing in a fixed pitch application.