William Slaughter

Well Known Member
Anyone feel that this proposed installation is inherently problematic? It will easily clear the movement of the canopy frame, and would be angled off to the side about 8 - 9 degrees.

DSC_0038-1.jpg

DSC_0037-1.jpg

DSC_0036-1.jpg

Seems to have a pretty good view all around.

Does the install manual have anything to say about the non-perpendicularity? It should have a clear view with the canopy closed. Airplanes aren't typically flat anywhere, so I suppose it falls into the realm of sensible. Just think of the superb reception in 9 degree banks to the left.

John Siebold

Antenna

I mounted mine on the skin above the instrument pannel just inside the windscreen.

Some antennas have instructions not to paint, so I "dyed" it black to stop reflections.

The roll bar didn't seem to affect operation at all. Seemed to be a good compromise.

I put mine under the cowl of my -8. Along with the antenna for the G696, and the G696's XM antenna. All work great. I try very hard to keep from cutting holes in the skin of my airplane, such as required for an antenna. YMMV

Anyone feel that this proposed installation is inherently problematic? It will easily clear the movement of the canopy frame, and would be angled off to the side about 8 - 9 degrees.
Mine is located in that spot, but I put some spacers under the two outboard screws to get it pretty close to level. Works great.

I put mine under the cowl of my -8. Along with the antenna for the G696, and the G696's XM antenna. All work great. I try very hard to keep from cutting holes in the skin of my airplane, such as required for an antenna. YMMV

They work so good under the cowl. I have 430w, Xm & 496gps all right together on a little mount between firewall & top of mgr mt. 200 he's no issue. Never lost signal.

It'll work fine there, no shim is really needed at all. But I'm a fan of putting it on top of the instrument panel glareshield top skin just behind the windshield too. That's where we put the one on the RV-8 in my avatar and it works perfect there. Even though Garmin says don't paint the antenna, I painted it with satin black Krylon Fusion plastic paint anyway.

BTW William - completely off the question, but speaking to the antenna....if you don't like the pretty Garmin graphics for some reason, Acetone takes it off instantly! Not that I WANTED to remove the graphics, but during clean-up from the platform work, we made this little discovery....

Paul

BTW William - completely off the question, but speaking to the antenna....if you don't like the pretty Garmin graphics for some reason, Acetone takes it off instantly! Not that I WANTED to remove the graphics, but during clean-up from the platform work, we made this little discovery....

Paul

Ha! Now you see it, now you don't. I'll watch out for that. ;)

William,

As i noted in an earlier post your location is fine. As far as the glare shield, if you have the AFS or possibly others then the antenna for the WAAS must be at least 18 inches away due to RF interference.