corton

I'm New Here
With the newer matched-hole / built spars kits, what is the realistic build time? I.e., Van's website hints at around 1000 or so hours if you are liberal with the math.

I've built other non-aircraft projects, have just about all the tools, and am a legend in my own mind when it comes to things mechanical.

Looking to build for many reasons, but I don't want to spend 3+ years in the process. And, no, I'm not retired yet.

Thanks; looking for some actual numbers from folks, not guesstimates.

Carl

1000 is WAY LOW

I cheated and went quick build. Likely have 700hrs in now and likely another 700 to go.
If you are a pilot, mechanical and like surfing the web... I would say 1000 to 1400 is possible quick build complete. If you dont know what you are doing...worry about every little issue thinking the plane will plummet from the sky if you dont have every shop head perfect...or if you want to try the latest fadec, auto conversion etc ....add mucho time.
Also alow 1 hour research for every hour build time once you get way into it. So many questions...
Get the emp ordered and get er done. If your in the air before me...your a legend....or i am a putz...or both Good luck Cant help you witth slow build....beyond my patience. Love the qb...great fun

My QB slider 9A took me 1,750 hrs (w/o paint) to finish. It includes more than 300 hrs of wiring. Yes, I spent a lot of time studying too and it is not included in the total build time.

The build time is affected by not only the skill level of the builder but also how much options/mods you include. Every piece you add takes time. I probably can get it done closer to 1,000 hrs if I built a VFR day airplane with simple interior and no options (aileron trim, 5 point seat belt, lights, etc.)

Last edited:
700hrs of wiring

Really 700 hrs? Did you have to splice fiber? Holly Cow. I thought the canopy was brutal. Nice looking plane..if my wiring takes 700 i will skip that whole process just fly with mags a compass and flashlight..

QB 9a took right at 1200 hours. No paint and my panel was done by professional shop. I had planned on 18 months, but it took 36 months. Two moves, sons wedding, and other family matters and vacations took me well past my goal finish date.

If you are extremely motivated and dedicated it can be done in a year or less. But in my opinion, all other after work activities would have to be put aside to build that quickly. Now, with that said, if I were to build a second quickbuild the same way (pro panel and no paint), I think I could cut it to under 1000 hrs.

My logged hours did not include reading, re-reading plans and instructions, just hands on time in the shop.

With the newer matched-hole / built spars kits, what is the realistic build time? I.e., Van's website hints at around 1000 or so hours if you are liberal with the math.

I've built other non-aircraft projects, have just about all the tools, and am a legend in my own mind when it comes to things mechanical.

Looking to build for many reasons, but I don't want to spend 3+ years in the process. And, no, I'm not retired yet.

Carl

Keep in mind the bare airframe is only about 1/2 of the total project. So when you have a structure in your shop that looks like an airplane, you still have a long ways to go.

Panel and firewall forward is where many builders get bogged down and spend more hours than they ever thought possible. Airframe construction is just "assembly"; panel and firewall forward is "fabrication". Then there is paint.......... :)

Having said that, if you are motivated and have the discipline to stick with a multi-year project (regardless of how long you hope it will take), you are a fine candidate for RV-dom.

Ok, you asked for numbers; After jumping into RV's in the late '90's, it has been my experience that most projects run in the 2-5 year range. I don't see how you can nail it down much closer than that due to the very wide range of builder skills and personal obligations.

Welcome to the community!

Last edited:

Carl
already have a life 4-5 years
not married no kids full time job 2 years
this is not a guesstimate.

It took me a little over 1000 hours to build my RV9. That was with minimal fiberglass finishing and no paint.

One thing to remember when looking at completion times: I haven't seen the QB kits save first time builders much time if any. In fact most first time QB's seem to take longer than a SB kit. The QB kits dump you off when things are starting to get a little bit more complicated. The SB builders have some good momentum going by then and generally aren't stumped by as much.

Having a good local RV resource will drastically reduce build time compared to going it alone.

Finding somebody who's gone before you would make a GIANT difference. Especially if their plane is equipped as you want yours to be. Sam is right on the money about what happens after it looks like a plane. If there is any way you can find a mentor you could probably cut total build time by 30%.

I built my 7A (9A probably almost identical size of work) in 2.5 yrs of 1-2 hr most weekday evenings and one eight hour day on the weekend. Sometimes I was able to build both weekend days. This was for a QB slider canopy version - I did everything except paint.

At the time I was not retired - so it was pretty much an evening and weekends thing. I found it just as fun as flying (except the canopy/cowl).

I built my 7A (9A probably almost identical size of work) in 2.5 yrs of 1-2 hr most weekday evenings and one eight hour day on the weekend. Sometimes I was able to build both weekend days. This was for a QB slider canopy version - I did everything except paint.

At the time I was not retired - so it was pretty much an evening and weekends thing. I found it just as fun as flying (except the canopy/cowl).
The time for my 6QB was just about the same as Kevin's. I am single which I think made it easier but I did end up with fewer friends than I started with.

It is a commitment, no matter what.

Build time

I think a first-time builder will need to expect 1600 to 2000 hours to build a standard kit to completion. A lot of time in the shop is spent on head scratching, reading and re-reading plans and instructions, and trying to find tools that have walked off. I would rather build the wings than build the canopy, and the fiberglass work , cowling and fairings are time consuming. The panel, instruments, elec wiring, antennas, lights- lots of time involved, and then the gremlins comes in at night and mixes up the wires in the connector you had wired, and you spend days trying to un-do their mistakes. 1000 hrs ? --not likely for first timer with average skills. It is a challenge, and enjoyable to most , but not to all, who decides to build. After completing a 9A , I missed the building process, so decided to build a 7A. (now ready for inspection) :)

670 hrs and a long way to go......

I built my Long-EZ in 1985 in 1900 hrs - 3 yrs 3 mo.... and about $20K at first flight.

I'm 670 hrs and 18 mo into my QB 9A.... I'm guessing AT LEAST that much more time and around 4 times the price of the EZ!!

So figure 1400-1600 hrs of HANDS ON TOOLS time and do the division to figure how many years it will take.

The reality is... if you want an airplane for the sake of a fast flying fix.... go buy one. Building is literally a project of blood, sweat and tears. It is character building, it's humbling, it's about the experience. And trust me... there is a LOT of experiences in building. My favorite definition of what an experience is; "When something is happening to you right now that you wish was happening to someone else". LOL

In the end.... you give birth and breath life into an amazing new part of your life. After 22 yrs flying my Long-EZ to the 4 corners of the USA and even to Cabo San Lucas.... every single flight brought amazement and pride. That is what building your own airplane is about.

That's my 2 cents...............

Build time

What a great question and some really great answers. I could'nt agree more on getting a mentor or a group of freinds that are familiar with the build process and with the 9. I'm lucky to have two builders right next to me, one with a flying 9A and another about to. They must be sick of me by now bugin them with questions.
A couple of things that do slow the bulid time is modifications and add-ons and the KISS principle. Keep extras down to a minimum and the build goes faster.
I am now in my forth year in the build working part time. I started with little skills but I must say I'm calling Vans alot less for replacement parts.

2,100 hours and 2 1/2 years to 100% finish a slow build 9A. I had built a Vari-Eze previously. Enjoyed building the RV more than the Vari-Eze.

Fin
9A

Wow... Thanks for all of the great replies, and for providing some depth to your answers. Good information, and much appreciated.

Sounds like significantly more than I WAG'd from Van's numbers. I certainly understand the implications of modifications and additions to the basic plans.

Was hoping for something on the shorter side of build times, only because in 2-3 years I may be moving, and really don't want to have to move a shop and partial project.

I have some thinking to do.

Carl

Hi Carl,

I guess I am on the other extreme of the build schedule! I took over 3,000 hrs in 3 yrs 3 months to get my quick build RV9a tipper in the air. As others have said, if you don't make mods and have a mentor you can do it in much less time and have a great flying machine. Much of my extra time was spent fusing over every little detail (yes-I have been accussed of being a little fanatical) and making a lot of mods--James cowl, fg plenum, designed much of my own induction, flush latches, etc., etc., etc. I was a first time builder also and initially thought I just wanted to quickly get the plane in the air but soon realized that I really enjoyed the build process and took pride in what I could do, so the extra time was not a negative for me. My guess is that if you like the mechanical stuff (from your post it sounds that way) you will probably find that you really enjoy the build--therefore the elasped time is not that big a factor.

Cheers,

db

wiring not 700 hours

Really 700 hrs? Did you have to splice fiber? Holly Cow. I thought the canopy was brutal. Nice looking plane..if my wiring takes 700 i will skip that whole process just fly with mags a compass and flashlight..

It did seem like 700 hours:confused:. I checked my log and it was ONLY 300 hours. It includes all the electrical and panel work. I have corrected my previous post.

I started my slow build -9A in July 2004. That was 2100 build hours ago. I live 2 miles from my hangar so I can do an hour after work and sometimes another hour after dinner. I'll log between 10 and 12 hours on weekends.
I'm finishing the baffles and am working torward a first flight in another 2 months.

Steve

Great answer. Almost once per week I ask myself how many hours I still have to work in order to finish the plane. I'm a first time builder (32 y.o.), I started on April, 2006 and now can only work on week ends (average of 1 hour per week). When I was a child, I built some model flying airplanes and static model ships.

I ended empennage, QB wings and almost completed QB fuselage (have panel and wiring to do). I have 620 hours logged, for now (and about other 600 of web and books studying). I can now see forward what I miss to do (firewall forward, electrical, finishing kit). Well, I guessed I have more 500 shop hours or so to go (classicaero seats and interior, without painting and maybe without leg fairings...just the minimum to fly).

But, if it is true that the airframe is only 1/2, I think I was wrong... Anyway, it should not be much more than a total of 1400. Too difference from other answers. Maybe there is something very time consuming that I did not consider.

Camillo

I took about 2000 hours over 3 years, painted and just about complete (no interior.) I sat down and figured how much time my "modifications" took and it came to around 400 hours. Something as simple as adding a drawer under the instrument panel took over 15 hours. I don't want to talk about how much time I spent on unnecessary platenuts! Oh yeah, I didn't paint it and didn't do any aluminum prep, although I did finish the fiberglass. Using a "recycled" 6A FWF probably saved me about 150 hours and the carbon fiber canopy another 50. All was time well spent.

Bob Kelly

9A build time

I quit logging at 1600hrs, but estimate 1800 hrs total form my slow build kit. That took 5 years with life getting in the way. I had professionals do the engine and the panel.

Joe Ramotowski
N358JR
1st flight 9/2/07 92 hrs to date.

Carbon fiber canopy

I was one of the fortunate (?) few to actually get and install a prefabricated canopy system. The man who made these has disappeared from the radar, leaving a bad taste in several people's mouth. Great system, poor company management. It was an out-of-the-box onto the airplane system with the slider part done and the windshield taking only a few hours to install. Love it (8 pound weight savings, all kinds of good features) but wouldn't recommend anyone attempting to buy one now.

Bob Kelly

My slow build -9 took 2800+ hours to build over 4 years and two months and I'm still working on the fiberglass.

That included the time to top my engine, change the accessory case, and install an odd ball engine (O-290-D2). Any change, even a minor one will add hours. The throttle quadrant, though easy to install, added about 10 to 15 hours of trial and error building.

Dang, I miss building!

9A QB Build time

1500 hours, 2.5 years
Not including paint or fiberglass prep for paint
No kids
Working only weekends (12-16 hours) in the garage
Moved to airport as late as possible. 1 month before first flight.
Extensive panel wiring for IFR and other bells and whistles (3 months)

Another data point for you.