skidmk

Well Known Member
Hi all,,, well my kit is sold :(, but I'm never one to be kept down. I'm now looking for a flying RV6,7, or 8... and I would like to get some real numbers for fuel consumption.

what say You? Average cruise burn and for those of us who throw them around? what are you seeing when do aero?

thanks Mike

o320?
o360?
io360?

Hi Mike,

The same engine will burn the same amount of fuel no manner what plane its on, depending on how the pilot sets the throttle and mixture, your looking at 7 to 10 GPH. I just made a 200 mile trip in my -4 at 10k? I burnt 8.6 GPH with a two way average cruising speed of 176 knots. RV-4 with 200HP IO-360 & CS MTV 15B prop. 23MPG at 200MPH is not bad and it took just under 7 minuets to get to 10k?. I do acro at cruse power so 8.5 to 8.8GPH doing acro, loops, rolls, Cubin 8s and the like.

Russ

HI Russ,

thanks for the info, wasn't too worried about the model of ship... just the different engine combos out there..... 7-10gp is a good range.

How is the 4 for size? I"m 6'2 235 (usually 225-230).... I prefer tandem, I was building an 8... and I rarely have passengers.

MIke

We figure 9.1 gallons a hour - start up to shut down, if you can go above 8000 feet. Figure 10 gallons a hour start up to shutdown, below 8000.

You may have to move the seat back for a perfect fit, I?m 6.0? and 230lb and the fellow that built the plane is 6? 1? and 240, my seat and roll bar is moved back 1? from standard but I bet it could work by just removing the seat back cushion. I have plenty of room and frankly the seats in my plane make for good comfort for the duration of the fuel for both pilot and passenger, Let me tell you though the angle of the seats and there layout can make for agony in 30 minuets if there not right. If you look at a -4 just remove all the cushions and if you fit then you will just have to make your own seats to mach your size.

Russ