ron sterba

Well Known Member
I asking if you can share your thoughts or photos on your firewall build after you mounted the engine. Its that time I start the installation and cowling work with a 3 blade Catto prop on my 9A IO 320. I'm installing the Dynon 10" and I need to start drilling holes in the firewall for the throttle/mixture cables and probe wires. I was at Vans on Friday to buy the stainless thru plates for the cables. Have you found that the Van's drawings for the pass-thru's are good locations? I bought the lower 360 cowl and also the firewall mounted oil cooler. If you have some pictures or a build website you would want to share that would be greatly appreciated! Or your firewall mounted oil cooler pictures. I was also told about the nose wheel bearing problem but I don't remember much about that since I was in a different part of my build at the time.

Thanks Guys.
Ron in Oregon

Ron,

IMO, the best way to figure the wiring and cable routing is to study the engine with it in place and visualize where cables should pass through the FW with the least amount of twist or bend. Initially I drilled the suggested holes (before mounting the engine) and later had to move them (but mine was an IO360 install).

greg

Greg after looking at the drawings I'll do just that, I'll take that wait and see since I have the 10 " Skyview. just picked-up the 2" larger instrument panel at Vans and cut it down a inch so I can get my switches located.
Thanks Greg,
Ron in Oregon QB9A

Check out the photos on my last engine page.

You can bring them in on either side, it doesn't matter. Just don't run them directly above the battery because you will want to be able to remove it from time to time. (I would also put the platenuts for the battery box on the inside of the firewall and not on the battery box.)

Bringing them in above the engine mount made routing the wires across the top of the mount a snap.

In my case, my Dynon D10 EMS is on the right side of the panel, so running the wires out the right side was a natural.

Ron,

What Bill said, regarding wiring. I have two holes in the FW for wiring, one on each side of the FW in the upper part. Wires can be routed to suit. However, the throttle & mixture cables (and maybe others) are less flexible as to where they are located, so I think you are wise to wait and see where those best fit.

cheers,
greg

Thanks Bill for the pictures. Great help. Greg I can see now that a opening on either side/both close to the steel frame to the firewall so the lines can be supported by Adel clamps off the tubing. I think I'll wait on the throttle/mixture cables until I get the whole picture! Thanks guys. Got the master relay installed yesterday so I'am getting the picture as it comes into focus off the prints and the actual wiring.
Thanks Guys
Ron in Oregon