Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Getting ready for cold weather flying - oil shutter installed to keep engine temps up at -10

oct 18. sutter.jpg

Installed seat heaters for me - keep my temps up!

oct 18 seat heater.jpg

We had a temperature record yesterday (Netherlands / latitude 52N ) for the 14th of October; around 25?C/77?F and you're starting the winter flying thread?πŸ˜‰

Any information about your seat heating (brand/Amps)?

Regards, Joeri

Engine preheater?

I feel your pain, it got down to near 60F last night here! Do you have an engine preheater? I put on an oil sump heater last year. Its nice to have your engine at 90F before starting.

We had a temperature record yesterday (Netherlands / latitude 52N ) for the 14th of October; around 25?C/77?F and you're starting the winter flying thread?πŸ˜‰

Any information about your seat heating (brand/Amps)?

Regards, Joeri

3.5 amps per seat
Tech Era Carbon Fiber Seat Heater Kit

Bottom cowl removal

Does this shutter make removing the lower cowl a pain? I assume you must disconnect and remove the shutter. What about the cable? do you have to thread it through the cowl each time?

29 degrees Monday morning here when I went flying. I installed an oil cooler shutter but not the Bowden cable. Basically wire it full open for summer and full closed for winter. Last winter I plugged in my Reiff oil Sump Heater on November 1st. and left it on until March 1st. (fly every week or two). I also use a cowl blanket in between uses. It maintains an oil / case temp in the mid 90?s. Even down to -40 F. Keeps the whole front end warm. On cold days I also throw a milk house heater in the cockpit while I do my preflight. Darn thing starts up smoother in January than it does in June!