alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Being almost done with the empennage (waiting for the proseal on those trailing edges to cure) and waiting for the wings (week of May 15-ish) I'm wondering if anyone has some good reading suggestions--like basic construction info. that I probably should have read before starting the tail? At this point, I'm really looking for a good airframe reference that is applicable to RVs in particular. I'm not really ready for FWF or electrical, but suggestions along those lines wouldn't be refused either! Mostly, I'm just looking to supplement the good info. I got during my build class.

I only ask because I've heard from some Avery tool people (I got my tools, sans books, from Cleaveland) that the books they send with their kits are good mostly for leveling spars or weighing down skins etc. :) , but I'm sure there must be some good ones--maybe those same ones--around, perhaps starting with the FAA manual on best practices?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

reading

If you are an EAA member go to the builders section at www.eaa.org . There are a lot of great articles listed by topic. Most are 3-4 pages long with illustrations. I read a lot of them and got some great tips.
Jack RV9A

Articles are listed by the following topics
Basic Construction Practices
Canopy/Windshields
Cockpit - Cabin - Interior
Control Systems
Cowlings
Electrical
Engines
Firewall
Fuel Systems
Instruments & Avionics
Landing Gear/Wheels/Brakes
Metal
Painting/Finishing
Propellors/Spinners
Tool Requirements
Tubing - Aluminum
Weight and Balance
Workshop

Last edited:
Ted Farmin
couldn't find builders section at www.eaa.org would be interested in reading if you could give me the area to look and the definite title
Ted,
Log in to the EAA Members area, go to the "Building" pulldown menu and select "Homebuilders HQ". Once there, go to the "Building" pulldown and you will find "Articles". Everything Jack listed is there.

Best,

good books.

I would suggest a good look through the the preview plans. Don't worry too much about the later chapters for the bits you won't have to worry about for years. 25 years of the RVator is a good and useful read as well. Bob Nicholls's "The Aeroelectric Connection" is pretty good for wiring, and "Propellerhead" by Anthony Woodward is a fantastic read, but might not directly help with tips & techniques for your RV build.

Dave

Even though it is a little early to worry about wiring, I second the Aeroelectric suggestion.

Since it is never too early to think about what engine you are going to use, I would suggest that you go to Tracy Crook's website (www.rotaryaviation.com) and take a look at the rotary engines.

Also, go to www.landings.com, and I'm sure you will find a useful link (not all reading has to be from a book).

Cheers,
Tracy.

Advisory Circular 43.13 Acceptable Methods. A bargain at $20.
Standard Aircraft Handbook. $23.
Both and much more available at the Builder's Bookstore. You'll also find those books at air shows and at flying-related book stores.

Online also

Advisory Circular 43.13 Acceptable Methods. You should have a hard copy for the shop, but you can read it for free online at home. Saves you from carrying it back and forth. Unless, of couse, shop and home are the same. Google search should find it for you. Jack N489JE