Noah

Well Known Member
I'm overhauling my IO-360 and need to determine whether to overhaul or replace my existing (and quite large) 60A "Firewall Forward" (Ford??) alternator, which appears to have 1100 hrs on it per the logs:

Ship's mission is primarily X-country IFR. Seems like there are newer, lighter alternators available? Anybody gone thru this decision and have any words of wisdom for me? Somebody mentioned there could be a potential interference between the cowling and a large alternator? I have the cowl which is used with the 200 hp angle-valve engine. Any help is appreciated - thanks!

decisions decisions

I maybe speking a little out of line here but I thought the Cessna/Ford style of early alternators were not the most reliable.

As for me I started off with a rebuilt auotmotice alt...the intention being IFR flight as well...Turns out it made a bunch of electrical noise, mainly due to my own fault (I painted the bracket and it made a poor ground conductor) So I bought a 60A Plane Power unit.

This thing is MUCH smaller and comes with all its own brackets...It was a fit and forget deal and my instruments were a lot happier.

Frank

The Plane Power alternator turns the correct way for our engines also. Automotive ones are turning backwards from their design and can easily over heat. This is according to PP website. 1,100 hours is plenty of time on your old alt. Overvoltage protection built right in. Time for an upgrade.

http://www.plane-power.com/

Last edited:
Roger WILCO

Thanks for the advice gents! I was reading the Aeroelectric Connection before my life got taken over by the engine overhaul. Are internally regulated alternators preferred or externally regulated?

Thanks Again.

Thanks for the advice gents! I was reading the Aeroelectric Connection before my life got taken over by the engine overhaul. Are internally regulated alternators preferred or externally regulated? Thanks Again.
Bob of AeroElect clearly prefers external. His reason is the "dreaded" over voltage, which Bob tends to fear monger a little with. The internal is easier to wire and very reliable as well. However if you are serious IFR........ and you already have an externally regulated alternator, than that might be best, but you do have options.

First of all what alternator is that? It is NOT the typical NipponDenso that Van supplies with the FWF kit. It looks like a Electro systems / Electodelta / Ford? aircraft alternator:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/fordalts.php
As you can see to exchange it is about $270. That's an option. Forget trying to get an automotive equivalent to match this. $230-$270 does not sound bad but its an old external fan design. Aircraft rebuilds have to have better QC than the auto-electric re-builders, but read the Plane Power web site for all the reasons to switch.

If you decide to switch, Plane Power can save same weight. Also they may make a little more real power, run cooler and save a few HP in less drag. If you already have an external regulator you can stick with that. You can always add Bobs OV crow bar device ir upgrade to a modern external regulator (Transpo 1200V, see below). Plane Power makes very nice alternators both internal and externally regulated. The internal ones already have "Extra" OV protection circuit that makes Bob happy, belt and suspenders. So there is absolutly no advantage with going external with plane power, however if you are already external it might be easier to stay that way. If you switch FROM externally regulated to internal voltage regulation, you will have to some re-wiring, but you are actually going from more wires to less wires. Plus you can get rid of the external regulator (if you have one).

If get a Plane Power external regulator alternator you could use the current regulator. I have no idea what voltage regulator you have, if you have one. If it's the case, than it might be a good to replace the regulator. External regulation is not automatically over-voltage proof or protected. If your current regulator has no OV protection, you can add an OV device on to an existing external regulator. You can also replace it with a regulator that has the OV protection built in. B&C voltage regulators, have an OV built-in. The B&C cost about $230, BUT MY ADVICE (if you stay with external volt reg) is buy a Transpo 1200V solid state voltage regulator with OV protection. Transpo 1200V can be purchased at most Auto electric specialty places. Your local auto parts store most likely will not have them stocked, but they may be able to order it for you. Ask them if they have a WAI (Wetherill Associates, Inc.) account, the distributor or Transpo parts. The part number is 1200V and they cost about $70-$80. I assume you have 12 volt but they V1200 comes in both 12 ad 24 volt so specify.

I know if you go with "Plane Power" you will have the best you can get for experimental, which is as good or better than you current unit. It most likely will be a little lighter and run cooler than your current alternator, with good reliability.

Last edited:
Alternator is $84 Less from Vans!

Unfortunately I don't have the alternator here at the house, George, and my photo of the data plate is washed out so I can't even get a P/N right now, but I'm pretty sure it does say Ford on it. I haven't started the electrical system yet so I have no regulator. Not sure if this unit has an internal reg or not. This engine came out of a Beech Sierra and this was the alternator on it, installed 15 years ago per the logs.

OK, so the Plane Power unit is internally regulated and also contains internal overvoltage protection. Sounds like a no-brainer, expecially since I just discovered that Vans sells the 60A unit for only $375, compared to $459 :eek: from Plane Power's website
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...-10-132&browse=engines&product=alternator-kit
http://www.plane-power.com/AL12-EI60.htm

Thanks again for the assistance!

Last edited:
Yep Ford

Unfortunately I don't have the alternator here at the house, George, and my photo of the data plate is washed out so I can't even get a P/N right now, but I'm pretty sure it does say Ford on it. I haven't started the electrical system yet so I have no regulator. Not sure if this unit has an internal reg or not. This engine came out of a Beech Sierra and this was the alternator on it, installed 15 years ago per the logs.

OK, so the Plane Power unit is internally regulated and also contains internal overvoltage protection. Sounds like a no-brainer, especially since I just discovered that Vans sells the 60A unit for only $375, compared to $459 :eek: from Plane Power's website
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...-10-132&browse=engines&product=alternator-kit
http://www.plane-power.com/AL12-EI60.htm

Thanks again for the assistance!
Yep no brainer, get the $375 PP deal from Van's.

Yep I am 99% sure it's an aircraft alternator (made from by FORD that goes under Electro sys or delta). That means it is an external regulated alternator, which is obvious from the fact it looks like it has a terminal for a field wire, unique to external voltage regulated alternators only.

You could sell it on eBay and get at least $100, because that is the core. It looks like its in good shape and you might get more for it, but don't take less than $100. That will cut it down to $275, no brainer.

Last edited: