prkaye

Well Known Member
822 fittings

For the 822-4D fittings that screw into the brake master cylinders... these are very snug when I screw them in... should I attempt to torque them to a value, or just turn them on with a wrench so they're good and snug?
Similarly with the 826-3D "T" fitting that I screw into the brake fluid reservoir (this replaces the nylon "T", since I'm using Bonaco hoses). Very very snug when i try to screw it on... this one too snug to turn by hand.
Also, should fuel lube be used on these?

Last edited:
I've got the Bonaco brake lines, and this uses an 826-3D "T" fitting in place of the nylon T fitting, into the brake fluid reservoir. When I screwed the fitting it, it was extremely tight (I have another post about this). When I removed it to inspect/add fuel lube, I discovered the first few threads on both the fitting and the reservoir are totally stripped. I'll get a new fitting, but the reservoir is $39, so I'm wondering if I can re-tap this to restore the threads? If so, what size of tap do I need?

Another question - when I replace the AN826 fitting, is it OK to use a steel one here instead of aluminum?

Thanks!
Phil

Last edited:
I have heard reports of "under-threaded" reservoirs. I don't know the details, but there seems to be a pattern of something not quite threaded deeply enough.

You'll need an 1/8" NPT tap.

I would for sure use EZ Turn (fuel lube) on those threads - you don't want pipe tape or any other shedding type of thread seal. Without anything, it will leak.

Phil,

I've got a 1/8" NPT tap if you want to try retapping it. That may or may not be possible, depending on how bad the damage is. But there is no harm to trying.

Aluminum fittings will gall when screwed dry into aluminum receptacles. Always use a good thread lubricant.