fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE:Smooth ....... Roar....1st engine start / video

Hi

Will today was just another one of those days we all look forward to as Vanheads:) as we approach that RV GRIN!!!!!!

First engine start..........................smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxSIcAwz9m8

ECi Titan IO360/high compression/FI/ram air/dual Pmag/ 200 RV prop....and only a few none engine Squawks.

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... NDY

Last edited:
Congratulations

What a great feeling. I can't wait to get there. I've actually had dreams about starting the engine for the first time. I hope mine goes as smoothly as yours did.:)

Nice buuut!!!

Awesome job Frank2..Its an event none of us ever forget..Marci sends her congratulations too.

I hate to nag on such a monentus occasion but in deference to safety..

We had a Pulsar with a 100HP Rotax got to full power on first start here at CVO..It jumped the chocks, turned left, went into a hangar where the owner of a turbine Glassair was sat in his wheelchair...missed him thankfully but slammed into the side of his airplane!!!

Please guys, the first engine start is a big unknown and it takes two minutes to to put a strap on the tailhook and tie it to a truck or similar.

Respectfully

Frank1

RE:Good Info.......

Awesome job Frank2..Its an event none of us ever forget..Marci sends her congratulations too.

I hate to nag on such a monentus occasion but in deference to safety..

We had a Pulsar with a 100HP Rotax got to full power on first start here at CVO..It jumped the chocks, turned left, went into a hangar where the owner of a turbine Glassair was sat in his wheelchair...missed him thankfully but slammed into the side of his airplane!!!

Please guys, the first engine start is a big unknown and it takes two minutes to to put a strap on the tailhook and tie it to a truck or similar.

Respectfully

Frank1

Hi Frank 1

True True......

I did bring this up with the two AP's in the group. They, being a bit further down the road than I assured me that ...from their perspective there would be no problem........so I relented.

This will bring up another issue that confronts all we diy aeroplane builders...who is pilot in command of all phase of the build. THE BUILDER

My advice, as alluded to in a nice way by Frank, is plan for the worst and hope for the best. No matter what phase of build think safety first, plan plan plan, and always be the PIC or in this case BIC (Builder in Command).

The reason for starting nose first in the hanger was to avoid a, recently, very poor resurfacing of the taxi/runway at 1L8. My thoughts were on that beautiful (at least from my perspective) 200 RV prop. I didn't want any fad play it's dirty tricks. The flying folks here are pretty up set with the city and the very poor material used to cover these areas. You would have to see it to believe just how bad it is. Plus they have just passed a new $35 a day tie down fee. Now let me see 6 planes in transiet parking and four of those will now move to another airport and alot of folks wanting to see Zions plus will just go to SGU 15 miles west where at present there are no tie down fees. But even SGU when the new airport is finished will probably add fees of all kinds. REALLY SHORTED SIGHTED I THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, yesterday was a great day and it could have never been done without the help of those present and the many that have helped in the past. I want to thank them and you for all the help ....advice.... and encouragement.

Next will begin the final push to DAR and the RV GRIN:D

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A...

Last edited:
Need Money for Gas?

We Will Pass The Hat For Gas at the Airport Frank, All Us Retirees Have Plenty of Obama Bucks.....Jim The Paz Man