fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: Skytec Starter ????UPDATE 07/20/2009..update 07/28/2009

Prepared for flight #4.....Having Fun.....Big Grins......Clear Prop......

The sound many of us know if a starter not engaging!!!!!!

Check this out????

I have read the threads on this but do have a question which in the end may be one of those....."I told Ya so".

How many of you folks have the brace between the starter and the alternator or not.

BUZZ has been starting real smooth until the start up this AM.

I will be calling SkyTec Monday. and maybe B & C for some more wallet lightening...............$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Phase 1

Last edited:
Just a thought...

In the bottom photo the forward part of the mounting surface on the starter doesn't show contact like the back and sides. I would question if the forward dowel pin was free to seat all the way into the case. If not, torquing the nuts would certainly stress the mount and could cause it to fail as it did.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

My Sky-Tech Hi-Torque starter was installed February, 1995.
Not a problem since!
BTW, I've never used the alternator brace.

Last edited:
WOW !! That is the first time I have ever seen that failure. How are the teeth on the starter and flywheel? Does it look like the teeth did not line up and that caused the failure?

I've never seen a break like that one either! Give SkyTec a call - They've always been super to work with.

Oh, I have always thought the the brace was there for the alternator mount's benefit, not the starter. I might be wrong...but I doubt that was your problem.

Paul

I agree with John. It looks like the front dowel might have been bottomed out before the flange seated. Don

Saw the same general failure on a Cozy at Arlington last weekend. Broke on both sides like that. Maybe a bad bunch of castings.....?
Good reason for at least one mag - he could have proped it and flown home but it just wasn't that simple. :rolleyes:

PS: REALLY beautiful engine, by the way!

I've never seen a break like that one either! Give SkyTec a call - They've always been super to work with.

Oh, I have always thought the the brace was there for the alternator mount's benefit, not the starter. I might be wrong...but I doubt that was your problem.

Paul

I think Paul is right. The brace is for the alternator bracket.

This may very well have been caused by a problem with the starter, but if you are using a key style ignition switch, their is another thing you should also investigate. Check whether the grounding bar is installed on the key switch for grounding the right (non impulse magneto) during start. If you are not using a key switch, verify that you are only activating the impulse mag. during start. If you have electronic ign. in place of the right mag., ignore the above info.

amazing!!!!!!!!!!

nice to know you can hand prop these 0-360's. the fly wheel looks a bit banged up. looks like it was bolted up flush, was the forward pin the right size? very interesting.

Did you get a kick-back? Got a funny feeling that if you have an EI, Sky-Tec is gonna assume that you did...

Did you get a kick-back? Got a funny feeling that if you have an EI, Sky-Tec is gonna assume that you did...

Sure looks like the energy to break it came from the right side and traveled left, looking at the bottom of the casting. (kick back) If it was the pin being too big or bottoming out you would think the break would be more uniform in the direction. Just guessing.

What kind of ignition set up do you have? Did you have a kickback?

Keep us in formed.

Last edited:
RE:pMags latest update

Hi Larry

There wasn't a kick back.....but....I do know that from others reports a kick back can be pretty subtle. I am running dual Pmags.

Thanks to all you folks that have given info and advice.

I have started the warranty process with SkyTec and will be touching base with them tomorrow.

Sure looks like the energy to break it came from the right side and traveled left, looking at the bottom of the casting. (kick back) If it was the pin being too big or bottoming out you would think the break would be more uniform in the direction. Just guessing.

What kind of ignition set up do you have? Did you have a kickback?

Keep us in formed.

The fracture surfaces are not conistent with the torque that would occur with a kickback. It appears that a starting torque is the actual mechanism.

The fracture surfaces are not conistent with the torque that would occur with a kickback. It appears that a starting torque is the actual mechanism.

Could be a bad casting then? It will be interesting (to me anyway) to find out what happened.

Interesting

As long as you have E/Pmags then Skytech will rebuild the starter at no cost to you...At least they did when mine failed..different reasons.

As others have said though..I doubt this is is a KB type of failure..Typically the housing streatches during KB..not actually break it. My money is on the dowel bottoming out..The casting was then superstressed, and it failed during subsequent starts.

As to the flywheel, take a file and dress each of the teeth and they should be just fine.

Of course make sure the dowl does not bottom on the new one..:)

Good luck

Frank 1

RE: UPDATE 07/20/2009

Yesterday I sent an email with pictures to the folks at Sky Tec.

I called them this early AM and talked with Richard (Great Guy). He listened very carefully to my problem and thoughts on way it happened. I told him the starter was purchased from Vans on 05/15/2007.

He said that the starters of that vintage were part of a batch that the casting of the metal housing was not adequate. He said to bunddle it up and ship it to them for a warranty FIX....:D

Those of you that have a Sky Tec (149 -12 LS) bought around this time frame and have not flown yet or started the engine yet would be wise to call Sky Tec to determine if yours might be one of the bad ones!!!!

Post Script. Once again I have been happy with another of the folks that I have purchased parts and materials from. Of all the problems that I have had (and there weren't that many) was a FedEx damage to the wing kit box on the bottom. I failed to notice this so...you guessed it....I had to eat the cost of a new bottom wing skin. I will say though, the local FedEx driver has been a great guy to deal with and he has shown real interest in the project.

So now I await the starter so the PHASE I process can continue!!!!!!

Last edited:
Frank, did they happen to give you a range of dates on those starters? I received my engine in March 07 so I'm starting to wonder.

Frank, while the casting quality may have an impact on the failure, what is showing in the photo is pretty clearly from something being amiss in the mounting.

I suspect the cause is partially the casting, and partially the mounting not being flat/tight.

The marks in the photo look like fret marks, caused by motion between the starter housing and the crankcase.

How about a photo of the area where the starter mounts???

If the pins are in fact too long, or too big in diameter, they may have acted as a fulcrum, and the resulting motion could very well cause the marks in the photo.

Were any of the bolts loose when you took the starter off??? This would be a big red flag to me if so.

RE: No Range

Frank, did they happen to give you a range of dates on those starters? I received my engine in March 07 so I'm starting to wonder.

Hi Jim

No Range was given. Maybe a cowl removal and a close inspection is in order or a call to Sky Tec....Great Folks very helpful.

Frank

Last edited:
RE:Good Points

Mike great points. I will get some pix tomorrow when I am out at the hanger.

Frank, while the casting quality may have an impact on the failure, what is showing in the photo is pretty clearly from something being amiss in the mounting.

I suspect the cause is partially the casting, and partially the mounting not being flat/tight. "The Picture sure does support this!!!!!!"

The marks in the photo look like fret marks, caused by motion between the starter housing and the crankcase. "If it slowly cracked as each start up was made this may account for the frets...just a guess"
How about a photo of the area where the starter mounts???

Next Trip to the airport will get spme pix.....Man here I thought the plane would be in the air instead I am grounded doing the 100000000000000 things my wife wants done now the plane is finished:eek:

If the pins are in fact too long, or too big in diameter, they may have acted as a fulcrum, and the resulting motion could very well cause the marks in the photo.

Were any of the bolts loose when you took the starter off??? This would be a big red flag to me if so.

Bolts were all tight.........

I agree

That pin could easily be too long....Just make sure it goes all the way home flat before toquing the bolts.

Definately los like fret marks.

Frank 1