fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE:RV Compressor ????

OK so this is the final word on compressors for RVs'. If you are going to build an RV aircraft a compressor of this size and capability is what you MUST have in your shop.........:eek:or not.........single phase/230/80 gallons/dual piston/oil ...........

Since beginning my RV7A 09/04/2004 I have been dealing with the paint or not to paint issue. I used AFS now Stewart interior one coat poly as my primer of choice. This was OK but my Home Depot (Aero) 30 gal oilless Husky just didn't cut it.

So this is what I finally found at Lowes (Aero)......Campbell Hausfeld on sale for $749............

Will I am just now getting the necessary materials/tools together to paint the plane. The following is a generl list:

New Compressor plus add ons.......2 part Stewart Poly paint/UV primer filler/primer/line tape/and all that other stuff for a simple garage paint booth (lights/fan/plastic/...........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). I have a Sata 1.4 gun.

Stay tuned as I will update my progress of success or ???????

Frank @ 1L8 ....RV7A..... Paint about to begin

Last edited:
Compressed Air Pipe Size

Frank,
I see a regulator and perhaps a filter in a line on the wall. If this is the main line coming off your compressor, it's not big enough. You need at least a 1/2" NPS (Nominal Pipe Size) line, maybe even a 3/4" NPS at this point in your system. Hope I'm not being nosy, but you'd rather know it now than later!

You can do some "Google-ing" and find some good pipe design considerations on the internet.

Like sloping your pipe away from your compressor to take the condensed water to a low point farthest away from the compressor. Like taking drops (tees) from the TOP of the supply line (water also). Like not using PVC (like I did). Oops that's another war topic! Please don't flame me!

I'm in the middle of installing my air lines in my shop, so I am going through the same thing. I've also learned to check for leaks with soap bubbles before getting too far into the installation. (Learned that the hard way, too.)

Don

P.S. And I have just learned the hard way that the local ACE hardware store has more selection and sometimes better prices than the big LOWE's and the big "The Home Depot" in my city.

Last edited:
RE:pipe size

Don

Not nosey ..... very helpful as always.

The pipe is 1/2 from the tank to the filter. I did reduce from 1/2 to 3/8 going into the filter/regulator and then to 1/4 for the fittings.

Don, good ideas on the water flow. I had to have an incline so the Filter/Reg would clear the work bench.

Frank @ 1L8 ....RV7A .....

looks like a keeper, Frank. Bigger lines are better for long runs, but the size of your garage, you'll probably be hooking your hoses pretty short anyway. Take your time, so things don't heat up and you should be ok. I have a similiar set up and have yet to get any water from any drain or seperator. Also either drop a couple of quickbolts in those feet or put some 1/8 rubber sheet under them to keep the compressor from trying to walk around.

BTW-I've been to Franks place. I doubt he'll have too worry about moisture. It's so dry, the cactus buy bottled water.:D

Frank, Does the Sata 1.4 require less CFM than the DeVillbis that Stewart recommends? It's hard to find a 14 CFM compressor for less than $1,000 or so.

Nice unit

I would also suggest adding an outlet before the regulator------many tools like as much pressure/volume as they can get. I always set a "T" directly in the tank, run direct and regulated feeds from it.

Ditto on the bolting down, or even old scraps of carpet under the feet.

By the way, if possible you might want to consider putting it outside--------noise.

Hmm

Not sure what sort of gun you got Frank2 but my harbor freigt guns were quite happy on my 5.5HP oiless..Of course its not really 5.5HP (more like 2Hp) but they dress it up like that.

But anyway I would be more concerned with getting oil mist in the lines...If you have any fisheyes in the paint, thats what it is..Oil contamination.

Can you get a cost effective oil seperator or do you know that oil contamination won't be a problem with this new compressor?

I sprayed all mine oilless so it wasn't an issue for me.

Frank1

RE: Thanks for the info!!!!!

Brain said

"BTW-I've been to Franks place. I doubt he'll have too worry about moisture. It's so dry, the cactus buy bottled water........"

107 plus to day and about -100% humidity. The water in our pool drops by the minute with the evaporation. Thanks for the info

Mike said

"Does the Sata 1.4 require less CFM than the DeVillbis that Stewart recommends? It's hard to find a 14 CFM compressor for less than $1,000 or so."

This compressor is rated at 16.1 cfm @ 90 lbs pressure all for $749...plus tax...plus shipping...plus set up (by me)

It is (the Sata) a HVLP outfit with a built in pressure regulator. I shoot the one part at about 24 lbs pressure as I remember...........It is a great gun. I will shoot the UV prime/fill with a 1.5 Devillbis....

Mike S said

"By the way, if possible you might want to consider putting it outside--------noise....."

Mike great idea except for my area CCRs and one really untight neighbor. They just loved all that riveting.........:rolleyes:

Frank1 or should I say ACROMAN

"Can you get a cost effective oil seperator or do you know that oil contamination won't be a problem with this new compressor?

Great point. If anyone has imput on this issue or where to buy the oil seperator at a reasonable price give it to me.............I thought the water seperator plus filter would do the trick but maybe not.........

I ran the compressor for an hour this AM with the stop **** open as per instructions to break in the compressor. It did walk a bit (less than an 1/8 inch) I did intend to do this. Good ideas on a rubber mat plus screwed to the floor.

Isn't it fun building RVs......even @ 3.95 years I am still learning good stuff and emptying my wallet$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:eek:

Thanks Fran @ 1L8 ...RV7A.....

Last edited:
OK so this is the final word on compressors for RVs'. If you are going to build an RV aircraft a compressor of this size and capability is what you MUST have in your shop.........:eek:or not.........single phase/230/80 gallons/dual piston/oil ...........

Since beginning my RV7A 09/04/2004 I have been dealing with the paint or not to paint issue. I used AFS now Stewart interior one coat poly as my primer of choice. This was OK but my Home Depot (Aero) 30 gal oilless Husky just didn't cut it.

So this is what I finally found at Lowes (Aero)......Campbell Hausfeld on sale for $749............

Will I am just now getting the necessary materials/tools together to paint the plane. The following is a generl list:

New Compressor plus add ons.......2 part Stewart Poly paint/UV primer filler/primer/line tape/and all that other stuff for a simple garage paint booth (lights/fan/plastic/...........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). I have a Sata 1.4 gun.

Stay tuned as I will update my progress of success or ???????

Frank @ 1L8 ....RV7A..... Paint about to begin

Frank... I dont think that compressor is going to cut it man... you may need a bigger one... :D kidding!

VERY NICE!!