Bill Phillips

Well Known Member
I have a Sensenich metal prop 85 inch sold with my Lyc engine 0360 as a package from Van's. They hang on my RV-8a and I have 22 hours into Phase 1. The engine over revs up to 2800 + rpm at the top in with this prop. A knowledgeable friend of mine stated that it might need to be re pitched and that the Sensenich folks could re pitch the prop a couple inches without a problem so that top end rpm will match the top speed. What is the plus and neg to this? Who has had their props re pitched? What will I gain and loose? Best regards, Bill Phillips N288WP, RV-8a

Check your rpm with a prop strobe to confirm the 2800. The 85 is Van's highest pitched prop. If the tach turns out to be true, then pull back that 100 rpm will help in FF but speed won't change much. And smile to the fact that you built clean aircraft.

And later on if you decide that you want to decrease your climb rate then re-pitch the prop to hit the 2700 rpm.

check rpm, then call sensi for there advice. that prop is very thick and my not be able to be repitched. what is the static runup rpm?

Re Pitch?

It is my understanding that a qualified prop shop can repitch your prop.
In fact up to a total (correction) 7" up or down over the life of the prop.
I got my info from Sensenich.
I would leave that prop alone 85" is a perfect combination of cruise and climb.

Last edited:
Repitch

Like Turbo said I would check the static RPM and call Sensenich. There is no problem repitching the prop, mine has been repitched twice with a 6" total. I only have my prop and one on an RV7 to compare stats with, but we both had +- 2150 RPM static and could not reach 2700 at 8,000 ft. My prop is now putting out 2250 static (where max HP can be obtained) and 2750 at 8,000 ft. Obviously I am headed in a different direction than you but I gained climb FPM and lost some top end MPH. The climb is more important to me than a few knots in cruise. I do not always agree with LOR but I think he is right here "Smile and be happy" with what you have. If you want to fine tune for top end, check all your stats, call Sensi and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the

responses and information. I spoke with Scott at Van's and he recommended I climb on up to 8 k and test top in there to see if it over revs. I'll try it. See you all TOC, Bill