fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE:paint System

I have been following the paint blister thread and have really enjoyed the info each person commenting on that thread has given.

As some of you know I tried to use the Stewart System to paint my plane....unlike others I failed.........:(

So after doing some research here at VAF and the net I would like to get more input on what you successful plane painters used to paint your plane. Second has the paint with stood the rigors of your flying the heck out of your plane!!!!!Would you do the paint job again!!!!!

Thanks in advance for the info. as I believe this might provide a good data point for those contemplating painting their plane.

Frank @ 1L8 & SGU ... RV7A ... Phase 1

Paint

Hey Frank..
I look forward to what you get back. I am looking at the stewart system and am thinking long and hard about painting myself.
When you read all the orange peal, fish eyes, etc....and then hear stories of $15K six month pro jobs...just hard making the decisions.

I am done the metal work...just getting started on engine install. The wings sitting there would be so easy to send out to a good car shop and painted up properly. Just cant decide.

RE:More to come

Frank, forgive me but I must have missed something. I was reading your "painting has begun thread" http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=33556 and it seemed like you were well on your way. What happened?

Hi Todd

I am still in the process of Phase 1 and each time I approach the plane and see those silver wings it is a reminder of not completing the last and I think important part of the build. I put a bunch of time into the paint process and, at least for me, it wasn't up to my standards......With that said others that see the painted part of the plane scratch their head and wonder just where the problem is.:eek:

Once I get finished with phase 1, do some x-country flights, and generally enjoy the fruits of my labors I will get the plane painted.

I will also a wait others that have contacted me about the Stewart System and are having better luck to chime in with their experience.

Here is picture of what I was dealing with.:mad:

Frank @ 1L8 and SGU ...RV7A... Phase 1

Last edited:
Frank,
Thanks for the info--very illustrative and disappointing as I was planning to use Stewarts on my plane as well. I've been using the Stewart's primer/sealer and like it a lot. The good news, I guess, is I'm just starting my wings so I've got time to sort all of this out.