fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: IPad Gurus????

I am about to pull the plug to order up the latest IPad....so ....What is the best setup for airplane use: gig size????? 4g Yes or No ??????

ipad

I like 4G as I can update Wx and get briefings right in the plane if I need a last minute update before taking off.

I have 64gig iPad-1 which I plan to upgrade to a "3". I just looked at my data use and even with all the plates in the world you only really need a 32 gig. If you do lots of video downloads or plan to use the video camera option a lot or have a huge audio library you might want 64g. Resale on 64g will be a little better.

I want the better screen, faster cpu, and possible LTE once I figure out if anyone in my area supports it.

Neil
RV-6, Murphy Renegade (bugs in teeth mode)

Besides being able to access data while away from wi-fi, the 4G version is the only one that has built-in GPS.

I'm quite happy with the 32 gig GPS version of my 1st generation iPad.

Dave

16 Gig is plenty for aircraft use

The lowest end model is plenty for using WingX or ForeFlight or SkyCharts. With each of them full US maps take between 2 and 4 gig.

If you are going to use it for music and video then you might want more. I have an iPad 1 16 gig, and have 2 movies, 30 e-books, and about 100 games for the kids, SkyCharts, ForeFlight, and WingX and have a couple gigs left over.

If you don't want an external GPS then you have to purchase one of the 3G/4G models, as they are the only ones that have a GPS built in.

If you don't need the latest and greatest, you can now get a Apple referbished iPad 2 for $349 or $469 for the 3G one. The factory referbished ones come with a new case, glass, and battery, and have the full warentee. (So basically new).

Be sure you get the

WiFi PLUS 3G/4G model --- built in GPS and accelerometers --- I have the 64Gig iPad2 and am only using 9 Gig --- and I have WingX, Foreflight, Skycharts, and a BUNCH of other stuff --- (no movies/videos) My next one will be 16 Gig.

Redundancy with economy

I've gone with a wifi-only ipad2 with an external Bluetooth gps to use Foreflight, but always have my iPhone. It's got Foreflight also (back up copy on phone is free), and the phone provides 3G data when wifi isn't available.

This avoids paying for another data plan but allows for wx updates when needed. Phone can provide gps info should the external one go TU or battery die. Just an option that worked well for me for those that have an iPhone already.

Agree 16gb is likely adequate, but went with 32gb just to be safe. Still have well over 16gb remaining, despite all the manuals, apps I wanted... :eek:

You don't have to keep the data plan on the iPad. It's a no contract thing. You can just use the Wi-Fi until you get into a bind where you need the data and activate the 3G/4G directly form the iPad. You can pay the one month fee and then turn it off at the end of the month-long period. It's great to have as a backup to not having Wifi at your location.