fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: GNS30 WASS update?

Just about to break out of Phase 1 prison and need to know what is the $$$$$$$$$ and drill associated to updating my GNS 430 WASS.

Checked out garmins web site and not getting the answer to these two questions......(probably it is there but!!!!!!)

Frank @ 1L8 and KSGU ...RV7A... Phase 1 just about done:D

Last edited:
Ouch! That's gonna hurt. If you did not take advantage of the $1,500 upgrade during the initial period, it will now cost you $3,000! You have to send the unit to Garmin for the upgrade. Not sure if you have to do it through an authorized Garmin reseller for experimental. After handing them over $3,000, they will test it, upgrade it, load new software and ship it back to you with new antenna. The antenna is different for the "W" version.

I find it funny when I see folks paying $5,000 on eBay for standard 430s. When they add the additional $3000 it will cost to upgrade it to a "W" they could have bought a brand new "W" with a new warranty for less money.

Here is a good FAQ from one vendor.
http://pennavionics.com/WAAS_UPGRADE.html

O I C

Oh, if that was the question then you have to contact Jeppesen.

Your choice of coverages for WAAS are as follows:
Worldwide (DGRW71)
Americas (DGRW72)
International (DGRW73)
Full USA (DGW300)
East/Central USA (DGRW99)
West/Central USA (DGRW97)
Central Europe (DGRW99)
Australia (DGW350)

Jeppesen may still offer a "mail in" service but the best (fastest and cheapest) way is to use their Jeppesen Services Update Manager (JSUM). This software with a special Skybound G2 USB adapter allows you to program the Garmin data cards with your computer over the Internet. The Skybound G2 adapter is an additional $50.

I paid $305 for a one year (every 28 days) DGRW99 subscription using JSUM. A One time update for this same subscription is about $125. I'm sure you can get a one time update from any Garmin dealer.

http://www.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/general/Single-slot-Skybound-Adapter.pdf

So, do both cards get updated through Jeppsen?

Thanks Frank

No, the other card contains terrain data and is updated directly from Garmin with, get this--a different USB adapter. Send a VAF message to Tonya Card to see if she still has that terrain adapter in "rotation" that you could use to update the terrain on this card. Since terrain data is less dynamic, is not as pressing to update so this you could wait on.

RE:Thanks

No, the other card contains terrain data and is updated directly from Garmin with, get this--a different USB adapter. Send a VAF message to Tonya Card to see if she still has that terrain adapter in "rotation" that you could use to update the terrain on this card. Since terrain data is less dynamic, is not as pressing to update so this you could wait on.

Thanks for all the info.....I finally got the Garmin info. $$$$$$$$.

I sure like my Dynon Updates in the $$$$$$$ are ., "ZERO"

Frank @ 1L8 and KSGU ...RV7A... 3.5 hour left in prison:rolleyes: