fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE:First Flight Info

I enjoyed reading this thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=675&highlight=flight+preparation

My 7A was supposed to be done this past April but........a number of family issues really stiffled my progress. I figure I will be done by the 4th anniversery of starting the project, (Sept 4, 2004). Which brings me to the issue I need some concrete info on. I may have in the past asked a similar question...(my quick research of the forums came up empty)......

I would appreciate any of you seasoned RV7A flyers giving me a good summary of the flight characteristic of the aircraft.......especially the landing phase. Also some comments on practice to get ready for the first flight. I will be using a 150 land-o-matic and a 182.......I am low time with minimal high performance flight time!

I know trying to describe how to land a plane is alot like trying to explain to some one how to ski........But your attempt will be greatrly appreciated. I was hoping to have Mike S. do my transition training but he is booked way into the fall...........

TIA for any help:)

Frank @ 1L8 ..... RV7A ...... last 990 details .........

Last edited:
Glad to...

.....Mike.

First off, they land just about like a C-150 or 182 except the control pressure is very light and the stick barely moves aft to flare. You just kinda rotate your wrist and hold the stick lightly because it really is effortless and easy to over control on your first few landings. You end up porpoising because of this unless you have a gentle touch.

The patterns can be the same size as a C-150 as well but if you have a fixed pitch prop, harder to slow down so we use around 1800 RPM in the pattern.....giving you around 110-120 MPH. Mine does 140 at 2000 RPMs. C/S props are much easier to slow down and 10-13" in the pattern is all you usually need in order to blend in with land-o-matics and such.

The other surprise most guys discover is the much greater right rudder input they need on take-off. You have to remember that you have a little airplane with a big motor! It takes quite a bit of leg to keep it from darting left to the bushes but there's ample rudder authority...you just have to do whatever it takes. Trust me, a dozen or so landings and you'll probably be there.

Regards,

Last edited:
7A landings

I agree with Pierre, and want to add a couple of things I've found with my 7A.
First, it's NOT a glider, and power-off you are coming down a lot steeper than with your typical Cessna. Be aware of your rate of descent, especially when your airspeed gets below 85 KIAS. I find that my approaches are a bit closer and steeper than with a Cessna.
Second, get it slowed down to 70 on short final prior to the flare, and it will land just as Pierre describes. You will really notice ground effect with the short wing if you carry extra speed into the flare.
Pierre's warning about right rudder is important to note. If you add power too quickly, you may even need a touch of brake initially to keep it going straight.
You're going to have a blast :cool:

My strongest recommendation is to let some one with more RV experience do the first flight.
At the VERY least, spend some time with an EAA flight advisor. You've got way too much invested to take chances on the first flight.

My strongest recommendation is to let some one with more RV experience do the first flight.
At the VERY least, spend some time with an EAA flight adviser. You've got way too much invested to take chances on the first flight.

Frank, I have to agree with Mel. I think that Pierre did a good job of answering your technical question (how do the RV's fly?), but there is an underlying feeling to your question that bespeaks a bit of nervousness over your admitted lack of high performance time. If you are bound and determined to do your first flight, I would strongly encourage you to get some significant transition training and time in a comparable RV first - you'll be flying - it just won't be your airplane first. personally know of several builders who have gotten behind their RV's on the first flight and caused significant damage - this is NOT something you want to tempt after all the work and years you have put in.

I hope I don't insult Frank - I don't know you, just reading what you have written over the years - I know you've put a lot of time into the airplane - don't rush the process in the last stage. I bet that you didn't solo a C-150 after reading about it on the 'net.....you don't want to be surprised by the RV based solely on what you read either....

Paul

Transition training

You might consider formal transition training. I spent a day with Mike Seager and found it very worthwhile. Mike is a skilled instructor who makes effective use of your time -- both on the ground and in the air. It will do wonders for your confidence.

In your place, I would also ask a more experienced -7 pilot to make the first flight.

Frank, Sit down, take a deep breath and really think about this. You are a low time minimal high performance time pilot and you should get some dual in a 6 or 7 at the least before even thinking about flying your pride and joy. RVs are not hard to fly but are significantly different than a Cessna. Besides the flight characteristics you will be dealing with breaking in a new engine and monitoring temps and pressures all while flying the airplane. Any emergency will just compound your problems. Too many initial test flights have ended badly with pilots not prepared to fly their airplane. Don't be one of these. Don

I agree with the last three posts; AT LEAST get some dual in a similar aircraft. I had PIC time in 27 different aircraft before I flew my RV and still it was "different." I took 3 hours with a CFI in his RV-7. I would hope you could find someone close by to do the same. Remember, you spent four years to build this thing, take the time to be sure of how to fly it. You want your first flight to be as much a non-event as possible, not a learning experience and certainly not something you might regret.

Bob Kelly

Last edited:
RE:Great info and advice

I want to thank each of you for the valuable and insightful information into one of the more demanding activities of building an airplane.....that first flight......

I have a trail attorney friend that says, " I know the answer to the question before I ask it." Each of you have said the same thing!

Paul I especially want you to know I find your past posts and this one in particular spot on. There should never be offense taken especially when an individual gives advice that will save your life/save your investment/save your family grief.

At 61 I am getting impatient with getting it done and even more so with not having the total skill required to complete the project by yours truely (that of doing the first flight). So I will either get the training necessary and signed off by someone more qualified than I as to my ability to do the first flight or pass that opportunity to one that is..............The fact is I will do a first solo flight at some point and must still be trained to the MAX !!!!!!!!!:)

So back to the garage to finish up the last 990 details and make an appointment for that transistion training.

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A...Last 990 details and off to the sky

I'd be surprised if your insurance company doesn't require some transition training anyway, even if you have someone else do the first flight. Mine required 5 hours with a CFI in an 'A' model RV (since that's what I have) before they'd cover me.

That's correct...

....but I had one guy come by here for 3 hours of transition training, mandated by his insurance company. Strange thing was that he has a -4 and they told him to just get 3 hours in any kind of RV since he already had 140 tailwheel hours and 210 landings in his Cesna 140.

Mostly it's 5 hours required.

Regards,

Frank2

Absolutely get transition training....Whether you do the first light or not.

These things are FAST...Even after you have gotten a hundred hours in your airplane, always pay close attention to speed control on final..Its easy to get complacent and almost run out of runway....extra speed means extra runway SQUARED!

I almost run out of runway once...and it was 6000' feet long!

Now I pay close attention every time..nail 80 knots (long runway) 65 to 75 (depending on comfort level, gust factors and weight) on short ones.

Frank 1