kentb

Well Known Member
I have replaced my left wing structure with a new quick build from Vans.
1st question: I was not sure of the correct airframe log book entry.
What I ended up doing is noting that I had replace the wing spar and related components and followed that up with the first entry in my log book that stated that I certified the plane airworthy according to appendix D part 43.

Was that the correct thing to do?

The 2nd question:
I flew the plane and all feels fine I did some stalls and noted that the stall speed is not the same. My log book show that I stalled (VSO) at 42 kts.
Last night the stall was at 47 kts. I don't think that a leak in the pitot would cause the speed to be greater. Any suggestions as to what would make the stall increase? I was only at 3000 ft and the speed was IAS. Temp was a little above standard. I can't remember how I did this test before, I'll look it up tonight to make sure that I am doing it correctly. Unless someone want to educate me.:)

Kent

Kent,

Do not use the word "airworthy" in your logbook entry. Airworthy means that the aircraft meets it's type certificate.
For experimental amateur-built aircraft you should use the statement "in a condition for safe operation".

Last edited:
Right you are Mel.

The actual entry is as follows:

Replaced left wing spar and structrue with new quickbuild wing from Van's Aircraft.
I certify that this aircraft has been inspected in accordance with the scope and detail of Appendix D of part 43 and found to be in condition for safe operation.

Kent

in this case, do you have to fill out the form (the number escapes me), and send it in to the FAA?

I remember the case of the guy who's insurance company balked at a loss claim because he had not sent in the form to compliment the log book entry.

in this case, do you have to fill out the form (the number escapes me), and send it in to the FAA?

I remember the case of the guy who's insurance company balked at a loss claim because he had not sent in the form to compliment the log book entry.

You might be thinking of a form 337, but if I recall corectly, those only apply to Certified aircraft.

Perhaps it was an 8130-6? (application for airworthiness). I had to submit a new one of these when I installed a different prop.

As an aside, interesting that we have to have an "airworthiness certificate" even though there's no type certificate.

OK, here is what I was refering to, I had to dig it out of my OP limitations. So my question: is replaceing a wing with like kind considered a major change?

After incorporating a major change as described in ? 21.93, the aircraft owner is required to reestablish compliance with ? 91.319(b) and notify the geographically responsible FSDO of the location of the proposed test area. The aircraft owner must obtain concurrence from the FSDO as to the suitability of the proposed test area. If the major change includes installing a different type of engine (reciprocating to turbine) or a change of a fixed-pitch from or to a controllable propeller, the aircraft owner must fill out a revised From 8130-6 to update the aircraft?s file in the FAA Aircraft Registry. All operations must be conducted under day VFR conditions in a sparsely populated area. The aircraft must remain in flight test for a minimum of five (5) hours. The FDSO may require additional time (more than 5 hours) depending on the extent of the modification. Person's nonessential to the flight must not be carried. The aircraft owner must make a detailed logbook entry describing the change before the test flight. Following satisfactory completion of the required number of flight hours in the flight test area, the pilot must certify in the records that the aircraft has been shown to comply with ? 91.319(b). Compliance with 91.319 (b) must be recorded in the aircraft records with the following or similarly worded statement: "I certify that the prescribed flight test hours have been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation. The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: speeds Vso_______, Vx________, and Vy_________, and the weight________, and CG location_______ at which they were obtained".

OK, here is what I was refering to, I had to dig it out of my OP limitations. So my question: is replaceing a wing with like kind considered a major change?

After incorporating a major change as described in ? 21.93, the aircraft owner is required to reestablish compliance with ? 91.319(b) and notify the geographically responsible FSDO of the location of the proposed test area. The aircraft owner must obtain concurrence from the FSDO as to the suitability of the proposed test area. If the major change includes installing a different type of engine (reciprocating to turbine) or a change of a fixed-pitch from or to a controllable propeller, the aircraft owner must fill out a revised From 8130-6 to update the aircraft?s file in the FAA Aircraft Registry. All operations must be conducted under day VFR conditions in a sparsely populated area. The aircraft must remain in flight test for a minimum of five (5) hours. The FDSO may require additional time (more than 5 hours) depending on the extent of the modification. Person's nonessential to the flight must not be carried. The aircraft owner must make a detailed logbook entry describing the change before the test flight. Following satisfactory completion of the required number of flight hours in the flight test area, the pilot must certify in the records that the aircraft has been shown to comply with ? 91.319(b). Compliance with 91.319 (b) must be recorded in the aircraft records with the following or similarly worded statement: "I certify that the prescribed flight test hours have been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation. The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: speeds Vso_______, Vx________, and Vy_________, and the weight________, and CG location_______ at which they were obtained".

Interesting...
It almost looks like replacing a wing with another wing (same design) would not be a major change and would not require the 5 hours testing.

I am planing on doing 5 hours of testing just to make sure that everything is working as expected. The entry above was what I intended to place in my log book at the end of the testing.

Any DAR's want to comment on this?

Kent

I don't think anything is needed at all from a paperwork viewpoint. As long as the wing design is the same, there is no major change. No different than, for example, rebuilding an engine (as I'm doing). No annual conditional inspection needed separate from the normal annual one. AC 21.93 is focused on design changes.

Practically speaking, one should use prudence as you are.

Replacing a wing or any other component with a "like" component is a repair; not a "change".
No paperwork necessary other than a logbook entry.