fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: Electrical Wiring GURUS Tig Welder / Compressor

Hi

Moved my Cambell Hausfeld 5 HP / 22Amp / 80 gal / 220 volt compressor to the hanger. It sits about 15 feet from the main panel. To add to the mix we would like to have a receptical to plug in our tig welder that is 50 amp.

Any ideas on the best way to wire this up off just one line of wires (red/black/bare) from the main panel to the location of the compressor / welder.

Getting ready to put the final paint to the planes wings.

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... flying

Last edited:
Use wiring for the larger load----50amp. Wire size is calced by the load, and distance. Go online for a wire sizing chart.

I would just install a 50 amp outlet, fit the same plug on the end of the cord for either unit, and plug in as needed. But, then, that is just me.

I am currently doing exactly this in my place, and had the same at the last house.

If you want to do it right, the compressor should be hard wired in, with its own breaker, and a shut off switch box.

You could also do a mixture of both, install a fixed wiring box for the compressor, and tap into it for a welder outlet box.

Just be sure not to have both running at the same time, or if you do plan on both running at the same time, you will need to upgrade the wiring to handle the total load.

The first setup is the simplest and cheapest.

Of course, if this is something you will need to have inspected ETC, then you will need to do it by the rules.

The thing to remember is the Breaker is sized for the wire size that you use. You always want the Breaker to trip before the wire melts. The electrical code states the minimum size wire that can be used for a circuits amperage. You can use wire larger than this minimum size to account for voltage drop based on the length of the wire run. There are tables on line which show the appropriate wire size for a specific current and run length. This is referred to as Voltage Drop Index.

Hope this helps. FYI I am a EE, but not the wiring type.

Ray