fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: ECi Break in instructions...

On page 16 and 17 of the ECi break in guide one reads....

Break-In Procedures
(First 100 Hours)
A new or overhauled engine is an expensive investment. Break-in is the most
important time in the life of your engine and is critical in determining its performance
capability. Seventy-five (75%) percent of the total normal wear of an engine occurs
during the break-in period. According to Federal-Mogul (the leading authority for
engine bearings throughout aviation's development era) new piston rings, pistons,
and refinished cylinder bores will be more sensitive to break-in than any bearings.
Any break-in procedure acceptable for rings and bores will be agreeable to the
bearings. Therefore, the first consideration in the break-in mode should be to
accomplish the ring to bore seating.
The operator should become informed about the type of ring faces and cylinder bore
materials which are installed on the overhauled engine. The value of the information
lies in two areas, 1.) the susceptibility to overheating, and 2.) the time in the break-in
period when oil consumption will most likely stabilize.
Porous chrome plated cylinder bores are the most susceptible to overheating.
Depending on the grade of cast iron used in the top compression ring, the degree of
taper on the face of the ring, the ring tension, the geometry of the cylinder bore, ring
finish and a great many other factors, experience has shown that porous chromium is
the least forgiving. Therefore, proper break-in procedures must be followed if
optimum oil consumption levels are to be realized over the life of the engine. On the
other hand, cylinder bore surfaces other than porous chrome, i.e. steel, impregnated
chrome, Nickel+Carbide™ and CermiNil® process, can tolerate some deviation from
ideal break-in conditions and still give exceptional performance.
While ring to bore seating will normally take place within the first several hours of
operation, optimum oil consumption is frequently not achieved until 50 hours or more
of operation have been accumulated. However, there are times when cylinders will
glaze or prematurely lose their ability to “grind-in” the ring face. This condition is
usually marked by lack of any reduction of oil consumption (oil is usually found on
the belly of the airplane due to a pressurized crankcase) during the first 10 hours of
operation. By removing the spark plugs and checking for fouled electrodes, the
offending cylinder(s) can be identified. The recommended remedy is to remove the
cylinder(s), rehone the bore for ring finish and reinstall using new rings.
CAUTION: The operator should be aware that the porous type chrome plated
cylinder bores have more critical cooling requirements than other cylinder bore
surfaces.
There are many techniques that have been advocated to enhance break-in or
rejuvenate porous chromium plated cylinders over the years. We do not recommend
any techniques beyond the procedures put forth herein.
© 2007 Engine Components, Inc. Page 16
BREAK-IN INSTRUCTIONS BREAK-IN PROCEDURES
We recommend these procedures to break-in a new or overhauled engine:
NOTE: The following information applies to all types of cylinder bores:
STEEL/CAST IRON - Plain, nitrided, through hardened
CHROME - Porous, silicon carbide impregnated
NICKEL COMPOSITE - CermiNil® process or Nickel+Carbide™
1. Verify that the engine has been run-in (See the section entitled “Run-In vs.
Break-In.”) If this procedure has not been performed, follow run-in instructions
contained in the section entitled “Lubrication for Run-In and Break-In.”
2. Assure that all precautions contained in the section entitled “Critical
Precautions for New and Overhauled Engines” have been observed.
3. For the initial flight, fast idle (850-1,000 RPM) engine for three to four minutes.
Shut down and inspect for oil leaks. During ground runs, do not permit cylinder
head temperatures to exceed 400°F or oil temperature to exceed 200°F.
4. Start engine, run up normally, taxi and take off immediately. (Minimize ground
time.) Reduce manifold pressure as soon as practical. Slowly reduce engine
speed to maximum continuous RPM (top of green) for fixed pitch propellers,
reduce power to 75%.
5. Cycle the propeller before flight only enough to verify control. This will ensure
the propeller hub has oil pressure prior to take-off.
6. Maintain a shallow climb to keep cylinder head temperatures as low as
possible. Maximum permissible cylinder head temperatures are published in
each specific engine’s type certificate data sheet. These maximum permissible
temperatures range from 450°F to 525°F, depending on the engine type.
Consult your specific engine’s type certificate data sheet for maximum
operating temperature.
7. Level off at altitude and maintain 75% power for at least 30 minutes. During the
first 50 hours of the break-in period, piston rings will seat best if cruise is
maintained at 65% to 75% power. Oil consumption will also be optimized
under these operating conditions. Normal ground idle may be used after the
engine temperatures and oil consumption have satisfactorily stabilized.
8. Keep flying weight to a minimum to reduce power requirements during take off.
9. Follow break-in lubrication procedures in the section entitled “Lubrication for
Run-In and Break-In.”
10. Should you encounter problems, refer to ECi Service Instruction No. 89-5-1,
“Engine Trouble Shooting Guide.” To receive a copy, call Customer Service at
1-800-ECi-2FLY or go to our website for a complete listing of Service
Instructions.
http://www.eci2fly.com
Page

After reading rereading these instructions and the VAF threads regarding break in I have noted some if not alot of variation in what one would consider a TYPICAL BREAK IN PROCEDURE and what I read above especially #4 and #7.
Now I know when read carefully I believe #4 is directed to fix pitch prop ops but.......to this very wet behind the ears, newby, that did sleep at a Holiday Inn near Van's this past year prop style wouldn't change the engines need to have an appropriate break in procedure.

In short (after coming to this break in party way late and maybe just maybe having caused some problems in regards to my beautiful , new, powerful ECi engine break in) Manifold pressure trumps percent power.

This was brought strongly home to me today after spending a great phone conversation with a real engine guru who has built, run in, and broken in more engines than I thought possible in a 20 plus year career.

So with this said the instructions need to be more specific as to the procedure used by the fix pitch and the variable pitched prop set up. Plus the instructions need to add "where possible" fly at an altitude (LOW) (SAFE) that will make max manifold pressure.

With this all said if anyone reads this before you break in your fancy, new, run in, expensive ECi engine. Read all the threads on this (VAF) site that has wonderful info as to break in. Remember it's manifold pressure that gets the job done. Finally, learn everthing you can about your new engine.....especially what break in does, how it works, what makes it work, and what are the pre and post indcators of engine break in. Finally keep very careful records of all the important indiators. CHT temps, EGT temps, Oil Temps, Oil Pressure, fuel flow, fuel pressure, RPM, Manifold Pressure, Altitude, OAT, OIL USAGE (VERY IMPORTANT).........plus others you may need to provide a good picture of how the engine is doing during the break in process.

Now, I know that I am a big boy and should have done my due diligence, but a little more info in instructions might have saved me and my engine some problems.

Thanks for allowing me to vent and please weigh in where you may find me out of bounds, off point, or just plain wrong!!!!!!@@@###????

Frank @ 1L8 and KSGU ...RV7A... Phase 1

Last edited: