fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: DIY Oxygen

I want to do my own oxygen system on the cheap but SAFE..... I have read and reread most of the threads on this issue. Especially

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=28412&highlight=oxygen

All were helpful but I am struggling with the best setup (what to buy / where to buy) for a portable system that would be filled at the local gas supplier.
I have concluded that a D Cylinder with a regulator adapted with a T for 2 flowmeters / oxygen flow optimizer cannulas. To round out the setup an in expensive oxymeter would be purchased. I would also probably need an interface between the cylinder and the cylinder filling the tank or..................

Thanks in advance for your help,advice, and critical review of the system you are now using. OR ..... what you may think would be a better set up for me.

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying and Tracken (MT-RTG)

Frank,

That thread has most everything you need - Bob Mills' photos show his system which is very similar to mine. My system has the T in it with individual flowmeters. The Mountain High parts (specifically the quick-connect) will shut off flow unless the cannula is plugged in. I put the needle valves 1) at the forward end of the armrest for the passenger and 2) right behind the passenger for the pilot (easy to reach from the L seat). With the T, one does have to tweak the flow a tiny bit depending on whether you are using one or two cannulas, but no big deal. I typically set my flow to either 0.5 or 1 L/m flying at 12000-17000 ft. My D cylinder with cannulas will last two people at least 10 hours flying at 12000 ft. Lots of options for refills as pointed out in the other thread. I'm fortunate in that there is a guy on the field (builds the Thunder Mustang) that has a 6-tank cascading setup, so when I need a fill I just donate $10-20 to his coffee fund and get filled up. If necessary, you can purchase an adapter for the medical bottles reasonably inexpensively (I recall maybe $25?).

Absolutely no reason to pay the extra for an entire system. You could probably do it even cheaper if you look around for the various plumbing parts but I found it pretty easy to just get them from Mountain High.

Cheers,
greg